Connect with us

news

Published

on

Revealed! NFF Pockets N198Million, Shares N90Million for CHAN Eagles, Coaches

Super Eagles, Nigeria

A total of N90Million has been designated to be shared among the Super Eagles B, (Players & Coaching Crew) for the just concluded Africa-Nations Championship (CHAN) hosted by Morocco.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) coughed out the N90Million from the $750,000 prize money the Super Eagles B, earned after emerging the first runner of the just concluded 5th edition of the African Nations Championships (CHAN) in Morocco.

The $750,000 prize money is about N252, 000, 000; 00k were converted to Nigeria’s currency and the N90Million is about 30% of the staggering sum.

Meanwhile, Nigeria also got a participation fee of $100,000 from this year’s edition – which is about N36 Million when converted to the country’s currency – alongside all the 16 participating countries.

Morocco, which hosted and emerged the winner, pocketed a staggering US$2.5 million in prize money, which represents a 67% increase from $750,000 awarded to winners of the previous editions.

 Nigeria, which emerged the first runners-up, walked away with $700,000, a 75 per cent increase from $400,000, while the semi-finalist took home $400,000, an increase of up to 60 per cent.

 The increase in prize money came months after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) signed a sponsorship agreement with French oil giants, Total.

A Nigeria FA officials had confirmed the payment will be made as promised the team.

” This is besides the match bonuses they have received for going all the way to the championship game in Morocco.”

The Eagles are due to arrive Lagos early on Tuesday morning via a direct flight from Casablanca.

The Eagles will also be hosted by the Lagos State Government when they arrive the Country from Morocco.

Nigeria Coach, Salisu Yusuf has attributed his team’s capitulation in the final of the CHAN against Morocco to the injuries to key players.

Nigeria lost in the CHAN 2018 final to Morocco 4-0, but the team had impressed – progressing beyond the semi-final for the first time in three editions.

The Super Eagles B, managed only one shot on target in the game and played with 10-men for 42 minutes after defender Moses Eneji was sent off in the second-half with the scoreline at 1-0 at the time.

In his post-match presser, Yusuf credited Morocco as worthy winners and added that the red card to his team also didn’t help the side.

However, a cross-section of Nigerian football enthusiasts on Monday hailed the home-based Super Eagles for their performance at the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN), saying the players surpassed their expectations.

They said while the Eagles were defeated convincingly in the match, they deserved commendation for their overall performance.

Tunde Popoola, the Secretary-General of Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC), said the Super Eagles surpassed his expectations and against all odds, adding that they were already “winners’’ even before Sunday’s match.

“These CHAN Eagles have truly exemplified the Nigerian spirit — never acknowledging defeat even in the face of it.

“The equaliser against Angola, which came in the second minute of added time in the quarter-finals, showed this. Their resilience with 10 men against Sudan in the semi-finals magnified this and it had to take something special to defeat the Sudanese.

“They had lost key players like their inspirational goalkeeper and captain Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Sunday Faleye, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, among others, coming into the final and so it was always going to be a difficult game for the Eagles.

“To be honest, even though I would have been happier if they had won the tournament, I didn’t expect anything much from the team in the final because I was already satisfied with what they had achieved so far,” he said.

The Chairman, FCT Football Association, Musa Talle, said so many factors militated against the Super Eagles, but their courage and passion to succeed against all odds were highly commendable.

“Their preparation before the tournament was below par compared to their counterparts and so much was not expected of them.

“But they defied all odds to reach Nigeria’s first-ever final at the championship and this to me is highly commendable,” he said.

Talle, however, said the final match against the hosts was a “no-contest’’, noting that everything went in favour of the Atlas Lions.

He said the Moroccans were better prepared and more familiar with the pitch where they had played all their matches.

“Coming against the hosts was never going to be easy, especially with the 12th man (the crowd) who were raucous as the stadium was painted red. That is North African football passion for you.

“There were lasers being flashed from different corners into the eyes of the players, and the referee as well as our boys were under pressure.

“Even the weather didn’t help our cause as it was entirely different from what our boys were used to. The rain kept pouring down and made it difficult for the Eagles to play their game on a soaked and slippery pitch.

“It, however, fitted well with the Atlas Lions’ style of play who were more familiar with the terrain as they punished every defensive error made by the Eagles.

“Also, the loss of Peter Moses in the early part of the second half made the matter worse as the hosts made the most of their numerical advantage,” Talle said.

An ex-international, Emmanuel Babayaro, said the overall performance of the team was commendable, adding that some of the home-based players showed that they deserve a place in the World Cup squad.

“I celebrate the lads. I’m not happy with the final scoreline, but I understand misfortune played a part, and ineptitude too.

“But, then, there are a lot of positives to take out from the championship. It was our best ever CHAN outing and we can build on this achievement.’’

Babayaro, who was a former national goalkeeper, also noted that the two goalkeepers at the tournament performed relatively well.

Succinct to also note that as part of the increment deal, the CAF Champions League, which previously had $1.5 million prize money, now onwards will use $2.5 million through 2020, while CAF Confederation Cup will have an increase of almost 90% with the winners taking a total of US$1.25 million against $660,000 previously won.

The CHAN 2016 edition, hosted in Rwanda, saw Amavubi, who reached the quarter-finals, pocket $175,000, a position that now fetch $300,000.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Nigeria’s ‘Fake’ Agency Exposed: Meet Director, 20 State Coordinators, China, US Representatives

Published

on

The alleged fake National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office had a structure spanning several states and two foreign countries, with an acclaimed national coordinator, zonal directors, state coordinators and representatives in China and the United States,

A check by our correspondent on Saturday found that the office’s website listed Hon. Nwabueze George as its “Executive Director, National Coordinator,” alongside a director of national administration, three zonal directors, 20 state coordinators and representatives for the United States and China.

Recall that the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Musa Aliyu, disclosed on Friday that President Bola Tinubu had ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze, identified by the commission as “the promoter” of the alleged fake office.

Tinubu also ordered the immediate suspension of three permanent secretaries — M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare and Richard P. Pheelangwah — following the discovery of the office, which the ICPC said it had been allocated space within the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation without presidential authorisation.

The ICPC said the promoter was also found to have operated under several variations of his name, including George Nathan Nwabueze, George Nwabueze, George Buchi Nwabueze, Prince George Buchi Nwabueze and George Nwabueze.

Nwabueze and Zonal directors

The website listed Nwabueze as the “Executive Director, National Coordinator.”

It also listed Dr Bassey B. Unaowo as “Special Assistant to the Permanent Secretary on Political and Economic Affairs, OSGF”; Dr Hajara Njidda Amoni as Director, National Administration; Mr Oladunjoye Musiliua as Zonal Director, South-West; Hafsat Sahabi Dange as Zonal Director, North; and Mrs Ugochi Akudo Nwosu as Zonal Director, South-East.

Made in Nigeria Zonal Directors
Made in Nigeria Zonal Directors. Credit: website
The website also claimed that the project operated under the OSGF. Its framework page described the project as being overseen by the Permanent Secretary, Political and Economic Affairs, in the OSGF.

However, this claimed government connection is significant in light of the ICPC’s finding that the office was operating without presidential authorisation.

20 state coordinators
The website listed the following as state coordinators:


Katsina: Dr Babangida Kabir Ruma
Kaduna: Hon. Abdulhaleem Ishaq Ringim
Delta: Hon. Dr Godwin Adolor
Kebbi: Hussaini Abdullahi, Esq., FSI
Osun: Hon. Olugbemi Adetola Adelowokan
Anambra: Hon. Chiamaka Nnake
Nasarawa: Hon. Osolafia Muhammed, PhD
Plateau: Mrs Salome Audu Bidda
Benue: Hon. Orduen Andrew Ikon
Ondo: Amb. Orioye G. Benedict
Ogun: Hon. Engr. Kehinde Akintonide, FNSE
Sokoto: Hon. Ibrahim Umar Aliyu
Abia: Hon. Mrs Nwosu Chinyere R.
Zamfara: Hon. Ibrahim Bello Marafa
Niger: Haj. Zainab Mohammed
Kano: Hon. Abubakar Ahmad Bichi (Khalifa)
Taraba: Hon. Justin Aondoaseer Tyopuusu
Oyo: Alhaji Bello Kolawole Ghaffar, FCA
Bauchi: Hon. Farouq Siyi
Kogi: Hon. Olorukooba Bidemi

Made in Nigeria state coordinators. Credit: website

Newsthumb check also found indications that some of those listed had previously held public positions or had links to established political, governmental or community structures in their respective states.

Another fake agency! FG suspends three perm secs, orders arrest

Made in Nigeria state coordinators. Credit: website

Made in Nigeria state coordinators. Credit: website
In Taraba, Tyopuusu has been identified in recent reports as a Special Assistant to Governor Agbu Kefas on Digital Economy, while serving as the state coordinator of the Made in Nigeria Special Project.

Made in Nigeria state coordinators. Credit: website

Their inclusion on the website does not, by itself, establish that they were aware that the organisation had allegedly lacked government authorisation.

Efforts made so far to reach the management of the acclaimed agency is abortive as of the time of filing the report as all three phone numbers on its website are switched off. Message sent to the acclaimed national cordinator by our correspondent has not been replied.

Reps in US, China

The website also listed Hon. Emmanuel Enemali Achema as “Country Rep./Coordinator, U.S.A.” and Hon. Ameh Enedugbojo Glory as “Country Rep./Coordinator, China.”

Made in Nigeria country reps. Credit: website
The claimed international structure was presented alongside the state and zonal network as part of the organisation’s purported nationwide and international operations.

The office’s website described its activities as including trade exhibitions, economic forums, promotion of Nigerian products and support for small and medium-sized enterprises, claim ICPC disputed.

The development is the latest in an investigation into purported fictitious government bodies.

The ICPC had previously identified the Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and two other alleged fictitious bodies, the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership.

Continue Reading

news

APC Unveils 2027 Presidential Campaign Council, Yari Emerges DG, Uzodimma Secretary – Onanuga

Published

on

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima will serve as chairman and vice chairman of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, according to the list released Saturday morning.

Party Chairman Professor Nentawe Yilwatda will also serve as vice chairman, while former Zamfara State governor Senator Abdulaziz Yari will serve as the director-general of the campaign.

Governor Hope Uzodimma will serve as secretary of the campaign council. APC National Secretary, Senator Ajibola Bashiru and Hadiza Bala-Usman will serve as deputy and assistant secretaries.

The chairman of the campaign Council, President Tinubu, will work with a body of advisers comprising Chief Bisi Akande, Chief Segun Osoba, Senator Rochas Okorocha, Senator Abdullahi Adamu, and Senator Florence Ita Giwa.

Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker Tajudeen Abass, and Governor Mai Mala Buni of Yobe State have been assigned as deputy director-generals for the campaign in the south and the north. They will work with Senator Bamidele Opeyemi and Senator Jibril Barau in the two zones.

Senator Adams Oshiomhole will serve as deputy director-general in charge of mobilisation, while the President’s Chief of Staff will serve as deputy director-general for administration.

James Abiodun Faleke, who played a pivotal role in the 2022/2023 campaign, has returned as deputy director-general for election planning, coordination and monitoring.

Faleke will work with zonal directors, with Senator Olushola Adeyeye in the South West, Dr Ngozi Olejeme in the South South, Senator Uche Ekwunife in the South East, Muntaqha Rabe in the North West, Ahmed Muhammed Ketso in the North Central, and Senator Sani Danladi in the North East.

Ms Stella Okotete, Engineer Abdullahi Garba Ramat and Audu Maikori will serve as secretaries of the election planning directorate.

Muiz Adeyemi Banire will lead the legal directorate as director, with Dr Liman Hassan and Babatunde Ogala as deputies. Other members are Prince Lateef Fagbemi, former governor Ibrahim Shema, Worgu Boms and Dr Kingsley Tochukwu Udeh.

The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris Malagi, will serve as the coordinating director for media and Strategic Communication, along with Dele Alake, Bayo Onanuga, and Lanre Issa-Onilu. The media directorate also includes Tunde Rahman, Sunday Dare, Daniel Bwala, and Felix Morka, who have been assigned as coordinating deputy directors.

Abdulaziz AbdulAziz will work with three others, Temitope Ajayi, Arabinrin Aderonke, and Frederick Nwabufor, as coordinating secretaries of the media directorate. Segun Dada will serve as Director, New Media, the same role he performed in 2022. Solomon Arowolo will serve as Secretary, New Media.

The campaign has also appointed five spokespersons, led by Dele Alake. Other spokespersons are Alwan Hassan, Ayobami Oyalowo, Kemi Asekun-Shittu and Adamu Fanda.

President Tinubu has charged all council members to work tirelessly to deliver victory for the party in the January 2027 elections. He has also encouraged the leaders of the various directorates to reach out to other party members who may not have been formally listed to join their crucial efforts.

“We have delivered on our campaign promises and set our country on a path of economic progress. We are definitely out of the dark tunnel and are now at the cusp of reaping the benefits of a prosperous economy that will benefit all Nigerians. As we march into the campaign season, we have many achievements to trumpet—let us confidently showcase our record and inspire hope in every corner of our nation. Let us soundly defeat all those forces who plan to take our country backwards.”

 

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Fake Agency Scandal: Tinubu Suspends Three Perm Secs, Orders Arrest

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of one George Buchi Nwabueze and the suspension of three permanent secretaries over the discovery of another fake agency operating within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

They include M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare, and Richard P. Pheelangwah.

Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN disclosed this to State House correspondents on Friday after briefing the President for the second time in two days, following an earlier meeting on Thursday.

Aliyu said the newly uncovered fake office, operating under the name “National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office,” had been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the OSGF, contrary to extant laws and without presidential authorisation.

He said, “Upon further briefing by ICPC to Mr President on the ongoing investigations into the fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and procedural weaknesses in the public service, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has uncovered another fake agency and office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, which has been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” Aliyu said.

He said the discovery emerged in the course of the commission’s broader investigation, as earlier directed by President Tinubu, and identified the promoter of the fake office as one Prince George Buchi Nwabueze, who was found to be operating under multiple aliases.

“The fake agency office, National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, was promoted by one George Buchi Nwabueze, with active suspected collaborators in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, contrary to extant laws and without authorisation of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The promoter was discovered to also operate under four other variations of his name: George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Honourable George Buchi Nwabueze, Prince George Buchi Nwabueze and George Nwabueze,” Aliyu said.

He revealed that the ICPC had engaged the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to ascertain vital information relating to the fake office under investigation, and had comprehensively briefed the President on the new developments.

“I have briefed Mr President comprehensively on these new developments. ICPC will continue with its investigations accordingly,” he said.

Aliyu said following the discovery, “Mr President has directed as follows: the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze; the immediate suspension of the following permanent secretaries; M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare, and Richard P. Pheelangwah,” he said.

Friday’s development is the latest in a scandal that began with the exposure of the fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose self-styled Director-General, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is currently facing prosecution on charges of forgery and impersonation.

The ICPC’s interim report, submitted to the President on August 6 after a 30-day investigation, had earlier disclosed the existence of two other fictitious bodies, the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership.

The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is the fourth fake agency uncovered after the PFIFC scandal since early April.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved