Connect with us

news

Breaking : 10 years Failure, DisCos renewals will not be automatic, the power sector privatisation failed, Says Tinubu

Published

on

Ten years after the partial privatisation of the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry, NESI, the Federal Government, on Monday, admitted that the exercise had failed to meet its objectives.

The government described as shameful the current generation, transmission and distribution level of just over 4,000 Megawatts.

Speaking in Abuja at the 2023 NESI Market Participants and Stakeholders Roundtable, NMPSR, President Bola Tinubu said after 10 years of privatisation about 90 million Nigerians were still without power supply.

The three-day conference has as theme: ‘NESI privatisation and its 10-year milestone: the journey so far, opportunities and prospects’.

Represented by the Special Adviser, Energy and Infrastructure, Office of the Vice President, Mr Sodiq Wanka, President Tinubu noted that the investments expected from the private sector never came.

According to him, “the key objectives of the privatisation effort were to improve the efficiency of the power sector, unlock private sector investments and unleash the potential of the nation through an energized economy.

“10 years on, I believe it is fair to say that the objectives of sector privatisation have by and large, not been met.

“Over 90 million Nigerians lack access to electricity. The national grid only serves about 15% of the country’s demand. This has left households and factories to rely on expensive self-generation, which supplies a staggering 40% of the country’s demand.

“What is worse, the total amount of electricity that can be wheeled through the national grid has remained relatively flat in the last 10 years.

“The grid capacity has increased from just over 3000Mw to typically just over 4,000Mw today. Versus a 40,000Mw target by 2020 that the Federal Government had set pre-privatisation.”

Blackout as Nigeria’s electricity generation drops 93.5% to 273MW
‘No automatic renewal of licence’
On his part, the Minister of Power, Mr. Adebayo Adelabu expressed misgivings over the decision of the past government to embark on privatisation, noting that commercialisation would have been the best option.

Mr Adelabu stated that the licences granted to investors in the assets would not be automatically renewed until they prove that they have met the terms contained in the original licence.

According to him, “The question for everyone is: have we achieved the objectives of the privatisation on the scale of 0-100? I will say no.

“Which is why it is pertinent for all the players in the industry to come to a roundtable to discuss the reasons for the failures and steps to be taken to remedy this.”

He noted that the government ought to have commercialised the sector in 2013.

The Minister pointed out that “most countries throughout the world do not privatise their electricity supply value chain, from generation to transmission and distribution.

“But, bad enough that we have done this, how can we work around the current status to achieve our priorities and objectives? This is not a job for one person or entity but it requires collaboration from all players.”

Chief Adelabu warned that at the expiration of operational licences of the distribution companies, DisCos, renewals will not be automatic.

“Ten years down the line, the licences are expiring and it is now the time for renewals. Renewals are not automatic. Any of the privatised company that has not lived up to expectations will not have its licence renewed,” he stressed.

In his remarks, the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio pointed out that while the sector had been acknowledged as critical to the economic growth of the country, not much has been achieved.

Senator Akpabio who was represented by the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Power, Eyinaya Abaribe, noted that while some progress has been made, the objective of improving power supply to Nigerians has remained unmet.

He said the parliament was committed to backing the sector with laws that would create the best business environment for the sector, adding that an amendment of the 2023 Electricity Act was underway that would take into cognizance of the latest developments in the industry.

Earlier, the Chairman of, the Conference Organising Committee, Prof. Stephen Ogaji described the challenges facing the power sector as formidable.

Prof Ogaji pointed observed that “without a doubt, the energy sector is the heartbeat of any thriving economy, and the NESI Roundtable demonstrates our collective commitment to advancing this critical sector.

“We gather here today as representatives from various sectors — public and private, regulatory bodies, investors, technocrats, and visionaries — all driven by a shared purpose, which is to enhance and shape the trajectory of Nigeria’s energy future.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy

Published

on

…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise

…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.

The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.

President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.

According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.

“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.

“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.

Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.

“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.

The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.

“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.

Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.

He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.

The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.

Continue Reading

news

Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage

Published

on

Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.

A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.

The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.

Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.

There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.

Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.

Continue Reading

news

Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate

Published

on

There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.

Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.

Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.

The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.

The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved