news
Breaking : Port-Harcourt refinery begin operation by producing 2 million litres of petrol and 2.2 million litres of diesel per day
The federal government has said that the Port-Harcourt refinery would begin operation by producing two million litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) otherwise known as petrol and 2.2 million litres of diesel per day.
The government said this after an inspection tour of the facility along with the leadership of organised labour.
Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, who disclosed this, said the refinery was 80 percent completed.
She explained that the old plant would begin with 54,000 barrels per day, while the new plant which is currently going through its last phase of completion would also begin production before the end of the year.
“The combined capacity of the two plants, when fully on stream, would produce 10 million litres of PMS per day,” Onyejeocha said in a statement issued by the Director of Press and Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, Olajide Oshundun on Thursday.
A scheduled visit to the Port-Harcourt refinery was one of the points listed in the 16 – points agreement reached with the government last year by organised labour.
The minister reiterated the government’s commitment to social dialogue with organized labour and other stakeholders towards achieving industrial peace and harmony, while prioritising workers’ welfare.
She appealed to union leaders to see the strike as the last option.
The minister said: “Issuing of constant strike threat could send wrong signals to potential investors. This is not healthy for our business environment.”
According to the statement, the minister met with the leadership of TUC to review the progress reports of agreements reached in October 2023 between the government and organised labour.
“During the review, the minister read each item on the memorandum of understanding among which were the payment of four out of six months on wage award, the committee of minimum wage review, payment of outstanding salaries and wages of tertiary education workers in federal- owned educational institutions, suspension of VAT on diesel, payment of N25,000 conditional cash transfer to 3,140,819 households, including the pensioner.
“While she said the government has made a huge financial commitment to the provision of CNG Buses and conversion Kits, she also explained that the procurement process was slowing down the launch but measures were already in place to fast-track the process.
“The minister explained that the government has commenced a series of engagements with relevant stakeholders on tax incentives, just as the leadership crises rocking NURTW and RTEAN have been resolved.
“Among the progress made are subsidized distribution of fertilizers to farmers across the country, government’s engagement with various state governments and the private sector on the issue of the implementation of wage award for their workers, and plans to encourage MSEs in the country to create jobs and boost the economy.
“Speaking on the inspection visit to the Port-Harcourt refinery by TUC and federal government delegation, the minister said reports by organized labour and government established that the Port-Harcourt refinery is 80% completed,” the statement said.
The leadership of TUC led by its Secretary General, Nuhu Toro commended the government for the progress recorded so far in implementing a substantial part of the agreement, but differed with the government on some of the items.
He said, for instance, that while the issue of RTEAN has been resolved, that of NURTW has not been resolved.
“If the issue of the president of the union has not been resolved, it suggests that the issue of NURTW has not been resolved.
“You have carefully done justice to the items, and we commend you and the federal government, but we expect fulfillment of all the agreements,” said Nuhu Toro.
He said some of the items have not been fully implemented but from their own assessment, the government has achieved 50% implementation.
According to Toro, “50% is a pass mark, but we urge you to do more. We know there are challenges, but we are very optimistic that they could be addressed”.
While the minister disagreed with the 50% rating by the union, citing reasons, Comrade Toro said 50% is a good performance on the side of the government.
Deputy President of TUC, Kayode Alakija, thanked the minister for her consistency with union leaders and appealed to her to back some of the gray areas with data to reconcile them.
He said: “We will appreciate it if you back up the VAT with empirical data. You said you got the information from the office of the Finance Minister. So, we would appreciate it if they could supply you with data on how they arrived at the information.”
Among those present at the meeting were the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Ismail Abubakar; the Director of Trade Union Services and Industrial Relations, M A. Yusuf and other directors and departmental heads of the ministry.
On the side of the TUC, were its Secretary General, Toro, its Vice President, Alakija Kayode, Deputy President, and two others.
news
Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy
![]()
…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise
…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.
The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.
President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.
According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.
“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.
“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.
Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.
“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.
“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.
The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.
“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.
He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.
The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’