news
N3.5bn Fraud : Crisis Deepens As labour party National Treasurer goes to court, demands nullification of six months suspension and compel EFCC to probe Abure
…
…my signature was forged to take Party funds- Ex-Ag. national chair
The last has not been heard about the crisis of confidence which has engulfed the leadership of the Labour Party over the administration of party funds.
National Treasurer of the party, Ms. Oluchi Oparah, who was suspended by the Comrade Julious Abure-led National Working Committee (NWC), for six months, has instituted a court action seeking to compel the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to probe Abure and look at the party’s financial records.
It was gathered in Abuja, on Sunday, that she instituted the legal action on February 15,2024.
In the suit, filed on her behalf by her lawyer, Emeka Etiaba, SAN, Okpara is also asking the court to nullify her six months suspension on the grounds that she wasn’t given a fair hearing before the action was taken.
Her prayers are contained in an Originating summons with file number: FHC /ABj/CS/202/2024 dated February 15 2024.
In it, her legal counsel, Emeka Etiaba, SAN, filed the action pursuant to order 3 rule 7 of the federal high court ( civil procedure) rules, 2019 and under the inherent jurisdiction of “this honourable court,” his client is asking the court whether it is not under the EFCC rules to investigate forgery.
In an accompanying affidavit deposed by Oluchi Oparah, she said, “I wrote a letter to the first Defendant (EFCC,) bringing a formal Petition dated the 14” of February, 2024 against the National Chairman of the Labour party Comrade Julius Abure, the 2nd Defendant ni this Suit for several grievous offences bordering on forgery, embezzlement of the 3rd Defendant’s funds, and abuse of office and failure to account for 3rd Defendant’s funds at his disposal. The letter is annexed as Exhibit A.
Implement law on genotype compatibility before marriage, Anambra PGs told
“The 2nd Defendant assumed the position of Acting National Chairman ni January, 2021 following the demise of his predecessor, Alhaji Abdulkadir Abdulsalam, on the 29th of December, 2020. He subsequently began a pattern of financial recklessness and lack of accountability that has characterised his tenure to date.
“The most grievous act of impropriety by 2” Defendant pertains to his forgery of the signature of the late Alhaji Abdulsalam, 61 (Sixty-One) days after Abdulsalam’s death with which he withdrew monies from the account of the Defendant’s account.
“The 2nd Defendant proceeded to unilaterally sign several bank cheques and depleted the balances in the 3rDefendant’s Zenith Bank account (Account No.1010984346) without recourse to any other member of the National Working Committee.
“The sum of N14,000,000.00 (Fourteen Million Naira only) had been lodged into the aforementioned account on 18 of February 2022, 51 days after the death of the erstwhile National Chairman.
“Between the 28of February and 7th of March, 2022, the 2 Defendant prepared and presented several cheques supposedly counter-signed by the late Alhaji Abdulkadir for payment at the Ceddi Plaza branch of Zenith Bank Plc in Abuja.
‘The monies paid earlier into the referenced account were completely depleted by: the 2 Defendant. The 2nd Defendant unilaterally signed the withdrawal instruments as acting National Secretary and forged the signature of his predecessor, the late Abdulsalam ni order ot deplete the 3rdDefendant’s funds, without the knowledge of or recourse to the NWC.
“These criminal actions represent the beginning of the high level of corruption that has now come to define the 2nd Defendant’s tenure as National Chairman of the 3rd Defendant.” , she stated in the petition to the EFCC and federal high court
She explained that within the period under review, “large sums of money were raised from the sale of nomination forms for the several elections held in 2023.
“Apart from proceeds from Edo State (in 2024) which the 2nd Defendant actually diverted to his personal accounts, the 2nd Defendant declared only N55 million out of about N3 billion raised, failing to account for the balance. This undeclared balance from sale of nomination forms as well as all donations received from followers and sympathizers of H.E. Peter Obi, remains unaccounted till date and al requests for accountability have been rebuffed by the 2nd Defendant.”
She further deposed that, “During off-cycle elections in Imo, Bayelsa, Kogi, Plateau, Ebonyi, and Lagos States ni 2023, the 3rd Defendant raised about N958 million from sale of nomination forms and donations paid into the 3rd Defendant’s official Bank accounts. However the 2nd Defendant embezzled some of the said funds without due process, paper trail or documentation, making serial unauthorised transfers to persons and family members.
“Specifically, N248 million, N210 million, N190 million, N180 million, N120 million, and N10 million were realised from nomination forms sales anf donations for the Imo, Bayelsa, Kogi gubernatorial elections as wel as the Plateau, Ebonyi and Lagos bye-elections respectively but, there are no records of how these funds were expended.”
She claimed that as the national treasurer of the party that she was completely sidelined from its affairs.
The treasurer also claimed that whilst on a fundraising tour in the United States of America (USA) in August 2023, the 2n Defendant raised hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Nigerians diaspora sympathetic for Peter Obi and the 3rd Defendant. Till date, the 2nd Defendant has refused to hand over or account a single dollar to her as National Treasurer or broader National Working Committee (NWC) essentially
She further claimed that Abure unilaterally prepared a hoax Audit Report for the period June 2022 to May 2023, and that he tried to get her and the NWC to endorse it but she rejected the Report, being fully aware of its falsehood.
According to Oluchi Oparah, “When I challenged the figures, the 2nd Defendant tried to induce me with various bribes ranging from cash to automobiles and even real estate, which I outrightly rejected.”
‘There is now incontrovertible evidence that the 2nd Defendant has sunk the proceeds of his loot from the 3rd Defendant into properties worth billions of Naira: These include choice properties ni Abuja, Benin City, a home ni Uromi, and higli- end apartments in Italy. Purchase documents show many of these were bought between February 2022 and December 2023, subsequent ot the peak of fundraising for the 2023 elections.
“This is in stark contrast to the 2nd Defendant’s financial status before assuming office in 2021 when he did not own a single property. Party elders can testify thất as of December 2020, the 2 Defendant had no significant assets to his name. His abrupt wealth is clearly the result of corruption and abuse of office as 3n
” The 2nd Defendant has deliberately and repeatedly undermined my authority as National Treasurer by denying me access ot the 3dr Defendant’s Bank accounts and transaction records, in violation of the 3 Defendant’s Constitution. My duties include: custody of the 3rd Defendant’s funds and oversight of the 3rd Defendant’s budgets, accounts and finances but the 2nd Defendant has rendered my role redundant. Annexed as Exhibit C is the 3* Defendant’s Constitution. 23.Specifically, the 2nd Defendant has refused ot mandate the opening of a proper Treasury Office for me to function effectively. Al financial documents artd records are kept with the 2nd Defendant and inner caucus alone.
In view of these allegations, she said, “In the light of the foregoing actions bordering on financial crimes, forgery, bribery, money laundering, contravention of electoral laws and attempts to obstruct justice, 1respectfully requested the defendant to comprehensively investigate the activities of the 2nd Defendant from January 2021 till date.
‘The actions of the 2nd Defendant has have brought immense disrepute ot our great Party and betrayed the trust of millions of Nigerians, who believe in the ideologies and principles of the 3″ Defendant.”
She also asked the court to quash her suspension because it did not follow the due process of law as she was not given fair hearing before her purported suspension.
A new twist has also been added to the saga with a fresh allegation by a former Acting National Chairman of the party, Mrs. Maria Labara, who acted in that capacity shortly after the sudden death of Abdulladir Abdulsalam in December, 2020.
She also denied signing any cheque between February 7, 2022 and March 18, 2022, the period when the said Ñ14 million and two instances of N7 million were withdrawn from the account of the party by Abure
Mrs Labaka, made these claims during an interview she grated Arise Television, on Saturday, Labaka, said, “The cheques between February 7 and March 18, I did not sign them. I only signed the cheques for March 29 meeting in Benin for the National Working Committee members and states chairmen of the party.
“I also Abure forged my signature for the change signatures as national chairman.”
news
Anti-Graft Showdown: EFCC Grabs Malami’s Passport, Probes $400m Abacha Recovery
![]()
…..Now to report daily for one month from Monday
….. Allegations against me fabricated, says ex-AGF
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday seized the international passport of a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN.
The seizure was part of the ongoing investigation of the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).
Malami cannot travel out of the country in the next one month because the condition for his release at 1am on Saturday was for him to report daily for interaction in EFCC headquarters in Abuja.
But Malami, who said the allegations against him were fabricated, said the truth will unfold soon.
According to the fact-sheet on Malami, he has many issues to clarify with the EFCC in the next one month.
“We have asked him to explain the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).
“We didn’t say he stole money, but he should account for the loot. This is one of the issues he will clarify to our investigators.
“Considering the huge volumes of documents he has to go through and the detectives he needs to interact with, we have seized his international passport.
“One of the conditions for his release on bail at 1am on Saturday was that he should report daily to the EFCC headquarters for interaction.
“He cannot travel out of the country except as mutually agreed with EFCC or with the permission of a High Court.
“We won’t join issues with him on his braggadocio but we will release our findings to the public after painstaking investigation.”
Reacting on his X handle, Malami said the allegations against him were fabricated.
Although he said the truth will soon unfold, he was silent on the seizure of his international passport.
He said: “In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for His divine intervention.
“The engagement was successful, and I am eventually released while on an appointment for further engagement as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold.”
news
BREAKING: Tinubu Finally Nominates Ex-INEC Chair Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, 29 Others as Ambassadors
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has transmitted a new list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, just days after submitting an initial batch of three names.
In two separate letters addressed to Senate President Godswill Akpabio, President Tinubu urged the lawmakers to give swift consideration and approval to 15 career ambassadors and 17 non-career ambassadors.
The list was released on Saturday in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy.
According to the breakdown, four women were nominated as career ambassadors, while six women made the non-career category.
Notable nominees in the non-career group include Barrister Ogbonnaya Kalu from Abia; former presidential aide Reno Omokri (Delta); former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmud Yakubu; former Ekiti first lady, Erelu Angela Adebayo; and former Enugu governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.
Others are Tasiu Musa Maigari, the former speaker of the Katsina House of Assembly, Yakubu N. Gambo, a former Commissioner in Plateau State and former deputy executive secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).
Professor Nora Ladi Daduut, a former senator from Plateau; Otunba Femi Pedro, a former deputy governor of Lagos State; Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, a former aviation minister from Osun State; and Barrister Nkechi Linda Ufochukwu from Anambra State are on the nomination list.
Also on the list are former First Lady of Oyo, Fatima Florence Ajimobi, former Lagos Commissioner, Lola Akande, former Adamawa Senator, Grace Bent, former governor of Abia, Victor Okezie Ikpeazu, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, businessman, lawyer and Senator from Ondo State, and the former ambassador of Nigeria to the Holy See, Ambassador Paul Oga Adikwu from Benue State.
Among the nominees for career ambassador and high commissioner-designates are: Enebechi Monica Okwuchukwu (Abia), Yakubu Nyaku Danladi (Taraba), Miamuna Ibrahim Besto (Adamawa), Musa Musa Abubakar (Kebbi), Syndoph Paebi Endoni (Bayelsa), Chima Geoffrey Lioma David (Ebonyi) and Mopelola Adeola-Ibrahim (Ogun).
The other nominees are Abimbola Samuel Reuben (Ondo), Yvonne Ehinosen Odumah(Edo), Hamza Mohammed Salau (Niger), Ambassador Shehu Barde (Katsina), Ambassador Ahmed Mohammed Monguno (Borno), Ambassador Muhammad Saidu Dahiru (Kaduna), Ambassador Olatunji Ahmed Sulu Gambari (Kawara) and Ambassador Wahab Adekola Akande (Osun).
The new nominees are expected to be posted to countries with which Nigeria maintains excellent and strategic bilateral relations, such as China, India, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, South Africa, Kenya, and to
Permanent Missions such as the United Nations, UNESCO, and the African Union. All the nominees will know their diplomatic assignments after their confirmation by the Senate.
Last week, President Tinubu sent three ambassadorial nominees for screening and confirmation. The nominees were Ambassador Ayodele Oke (Oyo), Ambassador Amin Mohammed Dalhatu (Jigawa), and Retired Colonel Lateef Kayode Are (Ogun). All three are in the pot for posting to the UK, USA, or France after their confirmation.
news
BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Security State of Emergency, Approves Major Recruitment Drive for Military and Police — “We Will Smoke Out All Criminal Elements”
…tasks herders to abandon open grazing, embrace ranching, surrender arms
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide security emergency in response to the wave of violent attacks across parts of the country, announcing sweeping directives for expanded recruitment into the Armed Forces and Police, the activation of forest guards, and tighter security measures for all vulnerable areas.
In a statement personally he issued, President Tinubu said, “Today, in view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces.”
By this order, he said both the police and the army had been authorised to recruit more operatives, saying, “The police will recruit an additional 20,000 officers, bringing the total to 50,000.”
The president also directed that the police could now use National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camps as training depots, noting that although he had previously approved the upgrade of police training institutions, the new security reality required immediate expansion of capacity.
He further ordered that officers being withdrawn from VIP guard duties must undergo crash retraining.
According to him, the exercise is to “debrief them and deliver more efficient police services when deployed to security-challenged areas of the country.”
Tinubu also empowered the Department of State Services (DSS) to activate fully the forest security architecture.
“The DSS also has my authority to immediately deploy all the forest guards already trained to flush out the terrorists and bandits lurking in our forests,” he said, adding that the agency had his directive to recruit additional personnel.
“There will be no more hiding places for agents of evil”, the President said.
Calling the situation “a national emergency,” the President said the federal government was responding by “deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas.”
He appealed to citizens to play their part, saying “the times require all hands on deck. As Nigerians, we should all get involved in securing our nation.”
President Tinubu commended security forces for recent breakthroughs, including the rescue of abducted schoolgirls in Kebbi and the 38 worshippers seized in Kwara State.
“We will continue to sustain the efforts to rescue the remaining students of Catholic School in Niger State and other Nigerians still being held hostage,” he assured.
To military personnel across the country, he delivered a firm charge, saying “I commend your courage and your sacrifice… I charge you to remain resolute, to restore peace across all theatres of operation, and to uphold the highest standards of discipline and integrity. There must be no compromise, no collusion, and no negligence.”
He added that his administration would support them fully to succeed.
Tinubu also pledged federal support to states with existing security outfits and urged the National Assembly to begin a legislative review to allow states that require state police to establish them.
He cautioned state governments against operating boarding schools in remote, unsecured areas, and advised religious institutions to “constantly seek police and other security protection when they gather for prayers, especially in vulnerable areas.”
The President reiterated his administration’s stance on resolving farmer-herder clashes, pointing to the establishment of the Ministry of Livestock Development.
He urged herder groups to abandon open grazing and embrace ranching, saying “I call on all herder associations to take advantage of it, end open grazing and surrender illegal weapons. Ranching is now the path forward”.
Tinubu expressed sympathy to families affected by recent attacks in Kebbi, Borno, Zamfara, Niger, Yobe and Kwara States.
He also paid tribute to fallen soldiers, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba.
“Those who want to test our resolve should never mistake our restraint for weakness. This administration has the courage and determination to keep the country safe and ensure our citizens live in peace”, he warned.
In a rallying call to Nigerians, the President urged unity and vigilance, saying “I urge you not to give in to fear and never succumb to despair… Report suspicious activities. Cooperate with security agencies. We are in this fight together, and together we shall win.”
-
news5 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle5 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle4 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health5 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health5 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
entertainment10 months agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’
-
news6 months agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board