Connect with us

news

Just IN : Dangote refinery is ready by June why Port Harcourt refinery begins operation July, Nigeria would no longer need to import petrol, Says IPMAN

Published

on

The 210,000-barrel-per-day Port-Harcourt refinery may finally commence operations by the end of July after several postponements.

The new date was disclosed on Monday by the National Public Relations Officer, Independent Marketers Association of Nigeria, Chief Ukadike Chinedu.

He stated that the development would stimulate economic activities, reduce the price of petroleum products and ensure adequate supply.

Last year in December, the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Heineken Lokpobiri, announced the mechanical completion and flare start-off of the biggest crude refinery in Port Harcourt.

The refineries comprise two units, with the old plant having a refined capacity of 60,000 barrels per day and the new plant has 150,000 BPD.

The refinery shut down in March 2019 for the first phase of repair works after the government secured the service of a technical adviser of Itay’s Maire Tecnimont to handle the reviews of the refinery complex, with oil major Eni appointed technical adviser.

On March 15, 2024, it was reported that the Group Chief Executive Officer of NNPC Limited, Mele Kyari, stated that the Port Harcourt refinery would commence operations in about two weeks.

The NNPC boss disclosed this during a press briefing after he appeared before the Senate Ad hoc committee investigating the various turnaround maintenance projects of the country’s refineries.

He said, “We did a mechanical completion of the refinery that was what we said in December. We now have crude oil already stocked in the refinery. We are doing regulatory compliance tests that must happen in every refinery before you start it, and I assure you that this Port Harcourt refinery will start in two weeks.”

However, the machinery had yet to begin operations two months after he made the promise.

In an exclusive interview on Monday, the IPMAN official stated that the work done represented a complete turnaround, not just rehabilitation, emphasising that every effort would be made to meet the July deadline.

Ukadike said, “Yes when we visited the place, the MD told us that the refinery was almost ready and by the end of July, they would start producing. It has been turned into a new one they changed all the armoured cable to brand new and everything there is almost like a brand-new refinery.

“The turnaround on maintenance is very massive and the job is being done day and night. All hands are on deck to make sure that they meet that target. By ending of July the refinery should be ready.”

PH refinery: Marketers eye fuel price reduction, ready to load
When reminded of several promises by the government to kick start the project, Ukadike replied, “Yes, there have been delays but they didn’t tell us any reason for the delay of the last deadline given in April.

“They are not facing any challenges at all; I can say the refinery is 99 per cent ready.

“What we want is competition. I am very sure that with the two refineries, the price of petrol will be reduced. Dangote is coming soon and the Port Harcourt refinery is almost ready too and that is very good. We need that competition for the benefit of the nation.”

The new timeline coincides with a proposal by the Dangote Refinery to commence petrol production by ending of next month (June).

The Chairman of the Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, while speaking at the Africa CEO forum annual summit in Kigali, assured Nigerians that following the laid-down plans of the Dangote Refinery, Nigeria would no longer need to import petrol starting next month.

According to him, the refinery can meet West Africa’s petrol and diesel needs, as well as the continent’s aviation fuel demand.

With an average monthly consumption of 1 billion litres, Nigeria currently spends approximately N520bn on the importation of PMS every month.

This means the government may cut approximately N6.2tn yearly import bill.

Commenting, the NNPCL Chief Corporate Communications Officer, Femi Soneye, said regulatory approvals from international bodies were the only impediment stalling the operational commencement of the refinery.

Soneye in an exclusive interview with our correspondent on Monday reiterated that mechanical completion had been achieved, and all pipes were operating flawlessly, transporting crude oil supplied by Shell.

He said, “We have said that the mechanical completion has been done and every other thing is done. There is crude oil and all the pipes are working; we are only waiting for regulatory approvals. Like I said, some of our materials and the things we use have to do with nuclear and we need the nuclear authorities to give us approval to use all those things at the site.

“And some of these approvals come from bodies outside of Nigeria. Until they give us those approvals, we can’t begin operations. We are ready to go but if something happens without it, which would be another issue. Everything has been completed in terms of our work, and once we get those approvals, it will start operations.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

BREAKING: Adeleke Cruises to Victory in 19 LGAs, AMBO Takes 11 in Osun Election

Published

on

Results from the 30 local government areas in the 2026 Osun State governorship election show that Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party (AP) recorded victories in 19 councils, ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Asiwaju Munirudeen Bola Oyebamiji (AMBO), who won 11 local government areas.

The local government results indicate that Adeleke polled a cumulative 511,067 votes, while Oyebamiji secured 444,815 votes across the state.

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate, Najeem Salaam, garnered 17,180 votes from the 30 local government areas.

Adeleke won Boluwaduro, Ede South, Ife North, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Ife Central, Orolu, Osogbo, Oriade, Odo-Otin, Ife East, Ifelodun, Iwo, Ede North, Ila, Aiyedire, Egbedore, Aiyedaade and Ejigbo local government areas.

Oyebamiji emerged victorious in Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, Atakunmosa West, Irewole, Atakunmosa East, Isokan, Ola Oluwa, Ife South and Olorunda local government areas.

Based on the collated local government results, Adeleke leads with victories in 19 of the state’s 30 local government areas, while the APC candidate secured 11 councils.

Accord won 19 out of the 30 LGAs: (Boluwaduro, Ede South, Ife North, Ilesa West, Ifedayo, Ife Central, Orolu, Osogbo, Oriade,
Odo-Otin, Ife East, Ifelodun, Iwo, Ede North, Ila, Aiyedire, Egbedore, Aiyedaade, Ejigbo)

APC won the remaining 11 LGAs (Ilesa East, Boripe, Irepodun, Obokun, Atakunmosa West, Irewole, Atakunmosa East, Isokan, Ola Oluwa, Ife South, Olorunda).

Here are the Osun 2026 Governorship Election Results of the 30 LGAs: GeographicReference

Boluwaduro LG

Accord: 7,118 votes
APC: 7,050 votes
ADC: 179 votes

Ede South LG

Accord: 26,188 votes
APC: 6,219 votes
ADC: 390 votes

Ife North LG

Accord: 13,879 votes
APC: 9,613 votes
ADC: 333 votes

Ilesa West LG

Accord: 16,196 votes
APC: 12,756 votes
ADC: 673 votes

Ifedayo LG

Accord: 7,427 votes
APC: 6,836 votes
ADC: 115 votes

Ilesa East LG

APC: 16,208 votes
Accord: 12,280 votes
ADC: 504 votes

Ife Central LG

Accord: 21,171 votes
APC: 15,913 votes
ADC: 747 votes

Boripe LG

APC: 19,963 votes
Accord: 12,448 votes
ADC: 379 votes

Irepodun LG

APC: 15,713 votes
Accord: 14,504 votes
ADC: 249 votes

Obokun LG

APC: 16,120 votes
Accord: 12,023 votes
ADC: 205 votes

Orolu LG

Accord: 12,352 votes
APC: 10,622 votes
ADC: 236 votes

Osogbo LG

Accord: 36,480 votes
APC: 30,474 votes
ADC: 1,503 votes

Oriade LG

Accord: 21,343 votes
APC: 14,863 votes
ADC: 423 votes

Odo-Otin LG

Accord: 18,003 votes
APC: 15,435 votes
ADC: 377 votes

Ife East LG

Accord: 27,201 votes
APC: 18,600 votes
ADC: 935 votes

Ifelodun LG

Accord: 21,107 votes
APC: 18,396 votes
ADC: 509 votes

Atakunmosa West LG

APC: 10,037 votes
Accord: 7,479 votes
ADC: 213 votes

Iwo LG

Accord: 27,085 votes
APC: 19,660 votes
ADC: 588 votes

Ede North LG

Accord: 35,427 votes
APC: 10,283 votes
ADC: 307 votes

Ila LG

Accord: 16,211 votes
APC: 12,934 votes
ADC: 259 votes

Irewole LG

APC: 29,972
Accord: 10,934 votes
ADC: 275 votes

Aiyedire LG

Accord: 11,073 votes
APC: 9,910 votes
ADC: 148 votes

Atakunmosa East LG

Discover more
Nigeria News Subscription
Politics News Updates
Executive Branch
City & Local Guides
Business News Analysis
Nigerian Economic Updates
APC: 9,936
Accord: 7,872 votes
ADC: 333 votes

Egbedore LG

Accord: 19,278 votes
APC: 11,194 votes
ADC: 363 votes

Aiyedaade LG

Accord: 16,681 votes
APC: 15,719 votes
ADC: 331 votes

Isokan LG

APC: 14,063 votes
Accord: 13,765 votes
ADC: 384 votes

Ola Oluwa LG

APC: 10,782 votes
Accord: 10,063 votes
ADC: 213 votes

Ife South

APC: 14,678 votes
Accord: 13,507 votes
ADC: 290 votes

Ejigbo LG

Accord: 18,458 votes
APC: 16,195 votes
ADC: 5,053 votes

Olorunda LG

APC: 24,671 votes
Accord: 23,514 votes
ADC: 666 votes.

Continue Reading

news

Gbajabiamila to Head Five Governors, Others at Nigeria–Canada Conference

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved a Federal Government delegation led by his Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, to represent Nigeria at the maiden Nigeria Diaspora Investment Economic Conference in Toronto, Canada.

The delegation includes Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum, Anambra State Governor Chukwuma Soludo, Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani, Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang and Zamfara State Governor Dauda Lawal.

The conference, themed “Invest Nigeria, Thrive Abroad,” is scheduled to hold from August 12 to 15 in Toronto.

The development was announced in a statement issued by Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, on X on Friday.

According to the statement, members of the delegation also include the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu; Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Jumoke Oduwole; and Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

Representatives of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Revenue Service, Nigeria Investment Promotion Commission, Nigeria Export Promotion Council and the National Information Technology Development Agency are also expected to participate.

The statement said Canadian officials expected at the conference include President of the Treasury Board of Canada, Shafqat Ali; Ontario Minister of Citizenship and Multiculturalism, Graham McGregor; Ontario lawmaker Deepak Anand; Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown; Councillor Rod Power; and Ontario Minister of Women and Economic Opportunities, Charmaine Williams.

How to become next Miss Nigeria
Quoting the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NiDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the statement said, “The calibre of officials attending the conference demonstrates President Tinubu’s commitment to strengthening economic cooperation between Nigeria and Canada through trade, investment and diaspora engagement.”

It further quoted Dabiri-Erewa as saying the event “is more than a conference” and is designed as “an outcome-driven investment platform” that will connect international investors with “investment-ready” opportunities across key sectors of Nigeria’s economy while strengthening bilateral economic relations between the two countries.

According to the statement, the conference is being organised by NiDCOM in collaboration with the Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa, the Canadian High Commission in Abuja and other stakeholders.

It said discussions will focus on agriculture, technology, manufacturing, infrastructure, energy, healthcare and the digital economy.

Newsthumb reports that the Nigeria Diaspora Investment Economic Conference is the first investment-focused forum organised by the Federal Government through NiDCOM to promote economic partnerships between Nigeria and its diaspora community.

According to the World Bank, Nigeria is one of Africa’s largest recipients of diaspora remittances, with annual inflows amounting to billions of dollars.

Continue Reading

news

Breaking : Osun Election: Tinubu Intervenes, Orders EFCC to Unfreeze Osun Government Accounts

Published

on


…says action could undermine public confidence in electoral process

…insists anti-graft agencies must remain independent but avoid actions suggesting political interference

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Thursday directed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to immediately take steps to vacate a court order freezing the bank accounts of the Osun State Government, saying the timing of the action, just days before the state’s governorship election, could create the impression of federal interference in the electoral process.

The President said although he respects the constitutional independence of the anti-graft agency and had no prior knowledge of its action, he was compelled to intervene in the overriding public interest to preserve public confidence in the credibility and fairness of Nigeria’s democratic process. NigerianBusiness Coverage

The EFCC had on Wednesday froze the accounts of the Osun State Government, placing a Post No Debit (PND), on its First Bank account, alleging fraudulent handling of N11 billion ecology funds, intervention funds and Federal Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).

However, in a personally signed statement issued from the State House, Abuja, President Tinubu disclosed that the EFCC had obtained the court order on August 5, 2026, freezing the accounts of the Osun State Government.

He said he was “deeply embarrassed” by the timing of the development, explaining that actions taken by federal institutions are often attributed to the President, regardless of whether he authorised them.

“It has come to my notice that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) obtained a court order on August 5, 2026, freezing the accounts of the Osun State Government. I must state that I feel deeply embarrassed not by the EFCC’s exercise of its mandate backed by a court order, but by the timing of the agency’s action.

“This is so because every action taken by an institution of State, especially at the Federal level, is always credited to me, as the President, even when I may not have had any prior knowledge of the action”, the President said.

Tinubu reiterated his long-standing policy of allowing anti-corruption and law enforcement agencies to carry out their statutory responsibilities without political interference, stressing that he had deliberately refrained from directing the operational activities of the EFCC and other investigative bodies since assuming office.

He said, “since assuming office, I have consistently maintained that anti-corruption and law enforcement agencies must be allowed to discharge their statutory responsibilities independently, professionally, without fear or favour, or political interference.

“I have therefore deliberately refrained from directing or interfering in the operational activities of the EFCC or any other investigative or prosecutorial agency because I firmly believe that strong democratic institutions, operating within the confines of the law, are indispensable to democratic good governance and the rule of law”, he said.

The President maintained that institutions established by law should be allowed to exercise their powers independently and without requiring presidential approval for routine operational decisions.

However, he said the circumstances surrounding the EFCC’s action required presidential intervention because of the proximity of the Osun governorship election.

“As President, I am committed to allowing institutions of State to function and take any action they consider necessary in the interest of proper governance without the need for any prior approval. Indeed, that is why institutions are set up by law with clearly defined powers.

“While I am yet to be fully apprised of the facts which informed the action of EFCC in approaching the court to obtain the said order freezing the Osun State Government account, I am not in the slightest doubt that the timing of the action of EFCC is inauspicious, and therefore I feel compelled to intervene”, he said.

The President warned that no action by any federal agency should create the perception that the Federal Government was attempting to influence the outcome of the forthcoming governorship poll.

“Osun State is only a few days away from its gubernatorial election. Therefore, nothing ought to be done to give an impression that the EFCC or indeed any other agency of the federal government is being used to interfere with the election”, he stated.

Tinubu said preserving public confidence in the integrity of the electoral process was paramount, adding that he was duty-bound to act in the national interest.

“Based on the foregoing premise, I am duty-bound to issue a directive on this issue in consonance with the overriding public interest in preserving public confidence and the integrity, credibility, and fairness of our democratic process”, he said.

The President consequently directed the anti-graft agency to immediately reverse its legal action against the Osun State Government.

“Accordingly, I have directed the EFCC to immediately proceed to the court to vacate the order and discontinue whatever action it has instituted against the Osun State Government in this regard”, Tinubu declared.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved