news
Nigerians fault labour’s reason for the strike, “NLC attempted to blackmail Federal government,” Says Bayo Onanuga
..AGF: respect court order.
Organised Labour yesterday declared the commencement of a nationwide strike from midnight yesterday.
This is despite Friday’s interim injunction by the National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NICN) restraining the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress (TUC), and their affiliates from embarking on the strike.
The court’s president, Justice Benedict Kanyip, granted the order while ruling on an ex-parte application brought by the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) on behalf of the Federal Government and argued by Tijani Gazali (SAN), Acting Director (Civil Appeals), Federal Ministry of Justice.
The two labour centres directed workers to stay off work from today.
But the presidency and AGF Lateef Fagbemi (SAN) reminded Labour that the restraining order was still in force.
Special Adviser to the President on Information & Strategy Bayo Onanuga said in a statement: “We notice with dismay the decision by the NLC and the TUC to call out workers to commence a strike action from midnight, despite a restraining order issued last week by Justice Kanyip of the National Industrial Court.
“This decision by the NLC and TUC other than being an ego-tripping move is clearly unwarranted. It is an attempt to blackmail the government by the leadership of the NLC.
“We are still at a loss as to why the NLC and TUC decide to punish a whole country of over 200 million people over a personal matter involving the NLC President, Mr. Joe Ajaero, whose error of judgment led to an assault on him in Owerri while he was planning to incite the workers in Imo State into a needless strike.
“While the Federal Government does not condone any form of violence and assault on any citizen of Nigeria regardless of his or her social and economic status, it is on record that the Inspector General of Police has ordered an investigation into what happened to Mr. Ajaero while the Commissioner of Police in Imo State under whose watch the incident happened has been transferred out of the state.
“Calling out workers on a national strike over a personal issue of a labour leader despite a clear court order against any industrial action amounts to an abuse of privilege.
“Power at any level should never be used to settle personal scores. Rather, it should be used to promote collective progress and advance national interest.
“Our national economy and social activities should not suffer because of the personal interest of any labour leader.
“This flagrant disobedience to court order and lack of respect for the judiciary should not be what the organised Labour would champion.
“The labour movement has always been a champion of the rule of law and respect for the judiciary. It is a sad irony that the current labour leaders have shown disdain and utter disregard for court orders.
“We reiterate that this strike action is illegal, immoral, unjustifiable and irresponsible.
“What the strike notice issued Monday night after official hours suggests is it’s designed for a sinister and hidden agenda to cause undue hardship and cause civil disturbance in our country. This is unacceptable.”
Fagbemi, in a statement by his Special Assistant Communication & Publicity, Kamarudeen Ogundele, said embarking on industrial action despite a court order against strike, would be contemptuous.
The statement reads: “We wish to remind the NLC and the TUC that there is a subsisting court order stopping the unions and their affiliates from embarking on the strike.
“The interim order was granted on November 10 by Justice Kanyip.
“The unions have been served the court order and, therefore, must surrender themselves to the authority of the court which is already seized with the facts of the case.
“Any action taken contrary to the order will be tantamount to contempt of court.
“We use this medium to urge the unions to respect the court order and adhere to the principle of the rule of law. There is no need to resort to self-help.
“We urge workers to report for duties and not to entertain any fear as their safety is guaranteed and will be protected within the ambit of the law.”
The strike is over the beating of NLC President Ajaero in Owerri, the Imo State capital, last week.
He was not seen in public for one week. When he emerged, he claimed that the police arrested and handed him over to hoodlums.
The redeployment of the Commissioner of Police in Imo was one of Labour’s demands.
After a joint National Executive Council meeting yesterday, TUC President Festus Osifo said all affiliates of the two labour centres had been mobilised to ensure the success of the strike.
According to him, the strike would remain until “governments at all levels wake up to their responsibility.”
Osifo said: “We demanded that the Area Commander that led the Police to carry out the brutalisation should be relieved of his duties and prosecuted.
“We asked also that Governor Hope Uzodimma’s Special Adviser on Special Duties, Chinasa Nwaneri, who everyone knew led the touts should also be arrested and prosecuted. Our list of demands is in the public domain.
“We gave an ultimatum that initially expired Wednesday last week. But on the eve of that expiration, we had a joint session of the NLC and the TUC.
“We looked at the time we gave and felt as responsible pan – Nigeria organisations, that we should give an additional one week to see if the government will be responsive.
“And in order to further draw the attention of the government we had the picketing session last week Thursday but instead of the government to come out strongly to condemn this criminality, to speak and stand on the side of justice, some people in government were rather running their mouth and making all kinds of statements.
“So the two labour centres have resolved to stand firmly by the decision of the joint NEC meeting that was held last Tuesday that effective from midnight on the 14th of November, we shall declare a nationwide strike.
“So effective midnight today, a nationwide strike is going to commence.
“All affiliates of TUC and NLC, all state councils of the two labour centres have been mobilised adequately.
“And this is going to be indefinite until government at all levels wake up to their responsibility. This is the decision of the joint NEC of NLC and TUC and we are to carry it out to the latter.”
Some of Labour’s demands are the redeployment and investigation of the Commissioner of Police, Imo State Command and the sacking of the Area Commander and all other officers and men in Owerri through whom the Police Commissioner supervised the brutalisation and humiliation of Ajaero and other workers.
Labour also demanded the arrest and prosecution of Mr Chinasa, who allegedly supervised the terror on workers and “bestial brutality” meted out to Ajaero.
Benbruce In a tweet via his X handle @benmurraybruce, he said: “A nationwide strike now because of an isolated incident in just one state that is already being addressed is not in Nigeria’s interest.
“It may further a personal interest, but it will harm the national interest. Power must not be used to settle scores.
“Instead, it must be used to promote the shores of our economic and democratic progress. I call on the NLC to be rational and put the national interest and let peace reign.”
news
Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy
![]()
…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise
…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.
The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.
President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.
According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.
“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.
“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.
Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.
“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.
“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.
The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.
“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.
He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.
The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’