news
Update: $2.4bn oil probe : Malami and Zainab Ahmed fail to answer queries on alleged illegal sale of crude oil to China
The House of Representatives has threatened to serve the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed; and Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), with summons over their failure to answer queries on alleged illegal sale of crude oil to China and utilisation of funds recovered through whistle-blowers without National Assembly appropriation.
The House’ Ad Hoc Committee to Investigate Alleged Loss of Over $2.4 Billion in Revenue from Illegal Sale of 48 Million Barrels of Crude Oil Export in 2015 Including All Crude Oil Exports and Sales by Nigeria from 2014 Till Date, which reinvited the ministers at its continued investigative hearing in Abuja on Wednesday, threatened to use its constitutional powers to compel them to appear before it.
Top officials of the Federal Government had failed to appear before the committee at its last sitting on April 11, 2023.
The committee was to grill ministers and other heads of ministries, departments and agencies of the Federal Government as well as oil companies and banks. However, only the National Intelligence Agency and the Code of Conduct Bureau sent representatives on the government side.
Consequently, the committee reinvited Ahmed, Malami; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, among others.
Chairman of the committee, Mark Gbillah, in his ruling at the end of the day’s sitting, had noted that the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation had indicted several officials and agencies in their memoranda to the panel.
Gbillah noted that the committee is probing into the 48 million barrels of crude oil allegedly sold in China, crude oil exports in general from Nigeria for the period under review and the whistle-blower revelations and recoveries “which the Federal Government has publicly declared they had made recoveries from.”
However, the FG officials failed to show up at the hearing again on Wednesday.
Miffed by the development, Gbillah said, “We have not been getting cooperation from the Ministry of Finance and Attorney-General’s office with regards to salient issues that this committee is investigating. We have seen documentation from the Accountant-General’s office that shows that the Honourable Minister of Finance approved the payment of a significant and substantial amount of money to so-called whistle-blowers where details of monies recovered were not provided.”
The Chairman of the committee added, “We have heard media reports by the Federal Government indicating that millions of dollars were recovered through whistle-blower revelations on behalf of the country. But we as a parliament have not seen where those monies were routed through the constitutional appropriation process before they were expended. The constitution is very clear about the receipt and expenditure of Nigeria’s money. But we have not seen evidence from the Honourable Minister of Finance or from the Attorney-General’s office, and we have not seen any statutory power provided to the Attorney-General to be involved in the expenditure of Nigeria’s commonwealth.
“There was an incident that was revealed by a whistle-blower who made a formal report to the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU). About $200m paid into two companies’ accounts – Biz Plus and GSCL – allegedly for consultancy services, which allegedly were approved, they said, by the Attorney-General’s office on the approval of Mr President.”
Gbillah stressed the need for government officials to explain the issues surrounding the funds, especially as they had been accused of authorising the spending.
“We need the Honourable Minister of Finance and the Attorney-General of the Federation to appear before this House to provide clarity on the inflows that have come in from whistle-blowers’ recoveries and to provide clarification about these monies that have recovered. And the CBN as well will be required to provide information that has been provided by these whistle-blowers about such substantial amounts of monies that were paid supposedly and allegedly for consultancy services, when there is no record of any agreement of any sort entered into for those services.
“These are very weighty allegations and as a responsible House, we owe everybody fair hearing and a benefit of the doubt, which is what we have been seeking to accord those who have been mentioned in these allegations. But we find it ‘unfashionable’ that the Honourable Minister of Finance and Attorney-General have not bothered to respond to any of the correspondence from the committee, and this in our opinion shows a lack of regard for the institution, not only of House, but also of the National Assembly as a whole.
“We will make this further appeal to the Honourable Minister of Finance and the Attorney General of the Federation, and all others who have not responded or who have not honoured the committee’s invitations to do so in the national interest. And in the event that they fail to do so, we will be constrained to proceed to summons and other statutory powers that the committee and the National Assembly can exercise in this regard.
“So, we want to make this a formal and final notice to those concerned – the Honourable Minister of Finance and the Attorney General of the Federation – to cause appearance before the committee, to give evidence with regards to the allegations that have been made, with regards to the questions that the committee has requested them to answer and to respond to,” he said.
news
Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy
![]()
…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise
…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.
The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.
President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.
According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.
“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.
“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.
Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.
“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.
“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.
The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.
“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.
He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.
The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’