Connect with us

news

Wike to LG chairs: no reelection without evidence of projects

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike has told local government chairmen seeking reelection in the forthcoming April poll to show evidence of their projects.

The governor insisted that only the council bosses adjudged to have performed in the office could be considered for reelection.

Wike, however, said such yardstick would not invalidate any existing arrangements and agreements in most council areas especially where such positions were on a rotational basis.

The governor spoke on Saturday at the inauguration of Bolo Town’s internal road network, performed by the former Governor of Gombe State, Dr. Ibrahim Dankwanbo.

Wike said it had become important to allow competent people to ascend elective positions so that they could work for the good of the people and communities.

He said: “On this local government election coming, let me say clearly, I cannot continue to see the situation where most responsibilities of local government are given to the state. It has made most of them abandon their own responsibilities.

“I will not agree to that again. Anybody who wants to go back for chairmanship must show us what he has done in that Local Government.

“I have told our leaders not to come and tell me these are their boys. We must bring people who are willing and are committed to working for the people. This is the time to work for the people.

“Now, even if that chairman wants to go back, you must also consider your local peculiarity”.

The governor acknowledged the cooperation Bolo people gave to the local contractor that handled the road project that traversed all the communities within the town and said it was proof that they loved development.Wike also announced the award of contract for the reconstruction of the bridge linking Bolo Town to their neighbours.

He said Ausphepz Nigeria Limited, the local contractor that handled the Bolo Town internal roads would be engaged to do the bridge.

He said: “When we came for the campaign, I asked the people and they said roads are important for them. We thank God today that the roads are reconstructed to link all the communities in Bolo Town.

“Now, nobody will say they are left out of the 7km of concrete road in all the communities that make up Bolo and this is part of Ogu/Bolo Local Government Area.

“About the damaged bridge linking you to Gokana and Tai Local Government areas, I will ask the Special Adviser on Special Projects to go and scoop it.

“He should see whether the contractor that handled the Bolo internal road project can also do that. We have to encourage and empower our own local contractors because they have done a good job here.

“Bolo people have supported us. Continue to work together, it will bring you a lot of projects. Communities that support contractors to complete projects and not demand money from them will benefit more. We will continue to fulfil, by the special grace of God, all promises we have made to you,” he added.

Inaugurating the network of internal roads, Dankwanbo noted that the road infrastructure put in place by the governor would open up Bolo Town and allow its people to enjoy the benefits of development.

He considered himself privileged to be in Bolo Town to see how such hinterland had been touched by the administration of Wike.

He said: “Development comes in several ways. From what I have seen, coming to this part of the State was very easy. Seeing the internal roads that have been constructed, totally about 7kmwirh drainages, is a rare achievement and very commendable.

“Roads open development. I want to, therefore, urge the people of this community to use this facility that has been provided to ensure that they grow the economy of this place. More youths should be employed and ensure that all the farmland are cultivated, and the product easily evacuated to the market,” he said.

In his remarks, Dax George-Kelly, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Special Projects said the job was awarded and completed within the contract period of 12 months.

“This road crisscrossed all nooks and crannies of Bolo Town. There is expansion, development, and new buildings coming up. The people are very happy about it,” he said

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Anti-Graft Showdown: EFCC Grabs Malami’s Passport, Probes $400m Abacha Recovery

Published

on

…..Now to report daily for one month from Monday

….. Allegations against me fabricated, says ex-AGF

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday seized the international passport of a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN.

The seizure was part of the ongoing investigation of the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).

Malami cannot travel out of the country in the next one month because the condition for his release at 1am on Saturday was for him to report daily for interaction in EFCC headquarters in Abuja.

But Malami, who said the allegations against him were fabricated, said the truth will unfold soon.

According to the fact-sheet on Malami, he has many issues to clarify with the EFCC in the next one month.

“We have asked him to explain the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).

“We didn’t say he stole money, but he should account for the loot. This is one of the issues he will clarify to our investigators.

“Considering the huge volumes of documents he has to go through and the detectives he needs to interact with, we have seized his international passport.

“One of the conditions for his release on bail at 1am on Saturday was that he should report daily to the EFCC headquarters for interaction.

“He cannot travel out of the country except as mutually agreed with EFCC or with the permission of a High Court.

“We won’t join issues with him on his braggadocio but we will release our findings to the public after painstaking investigation.”

Reacting on his X handle, Malami said the allegations against him were fabricated.

Although he said the truth will soon unfold, he was silent on the seizure of his international passport.

He said: “In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for His divine intervention.

“The engagement was successful, and I am eventually released while on an appointment for further engagement as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold.”

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Tinubu Finally Nominates Ex-INEC Chair Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, 29 Others as Ambassadors

Published

on

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has transmitted a new list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, just days after submitting an initial batch of three names.

In two separate letters addressed to Senate President Godswill Akpabio, President Tinubu urged the lawmakers to give swift consideration and approval to 15 career ambassadors and 17 non-career ambassadors.

The list was released on Saturday in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy.

According to the breakdown, four women were nominated as career ambassadors, while six women made the non-career category.

Notable nominees in the non-career group include Barrister Ogbonnaya Kalu from Abia; former presidential aide Reno Omokri (Delta); former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmud Yakubu; former Ekiti first lady, Erelu Angela Adebayo; and former Enugu governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.

Others are Tasiu Musa Maigari, the former speaker of the Katsina House of Assembly, Yakubu N. Gambo, a former Commissioner in Plateau State and former deputy executive secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).

Professor Nora Ladi Daduut, a former senator from Plateau; Otunba Femi Pedro, a former deputy governor of Lagos State; Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, a former aviation minister from Osun State; and Barrister Nkechi Linda Ufochukwu from Anambra State are on the nomination list.

Also on the list are former First Lady of Oyo, Fatima Florence Ajimobi, former Lagos Commissioner, Lola Akande, former Adamawa Senator, Grace Bent, former governor of Abia, Victor Okezie Ikpeazu, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, businessman, lawyer and Senator from Ondo State, and the former ambassador of Nigeria to the Holy See, Ambassador Paul Oga Adikwu from Benue State.

Among the nominees for career ambassador and high commissioner-designates are: Enebechi Monica Okwuchukwu (Abia), Yakubu Nyaku Danladi (Taraba), Miamuna Ibrahim Besto (Adamawa), Musa Musa Abubakar (Kebbi), Syndoph Paebi Endoni (Bayelsa), Chima Geoffrey Lioma David (Ebonyi) and Mopelola Adeola-Ibrahim (Ogun).

The other nominees are Abimbola Samuel Reuben (Ondo), Yvonne Ehinosen Odumah(Edo), Hamza Mohammed Salau (Niger), Ambassador Shehu Barde (Katsina), Ambassador Ahmed Mohammed Monguno (Borno), Ambassador Muhammad Saidu Dahiru (Kaduna), Ambassador Olatunji Ahmed Sulu Gambari (Kawara) and Ambassador Wahab Adekola Akande (Osun).

The new nominees are expected to be posted to countries with which Nigeria maintains excellent and strategic bilateral relations, such as China, India, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, South Africa, Kenya, and to Permanent Missions such as the United Nations, UNESCO, and the African Union. All the nominees will know their diplomatic assignments after their confirmation by the Senate.

Last week, President Tinubu sent three ambassadorial nominees for screening and confirmation. The nominees were Ambassador Ayodele Oke (Oyo), Ambassador Amin Mohammed Dalhatu (Jigawa), and Retired Colonel Lateef Kayode Are (Ogun). All three are in the pot for posting to the UK, USA, or France after their confirmation.

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Security State of Emergency, Approves Major Recruitment Drive for Military and Police — “We Will Smoke Out All Criminal Elements”

Published

on

…tasks herders to abandon open grazing, embrace ranching, surrender arms

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide security emergency in response to the wave of violent attacks across parts of the country, announcing sweeping directives for expanded recruitment into the Armed Forces and Police, the activation of forest guards, and tighter security measures for all vulnerable areas.

In a statement personally he issued, President Tinubu said, “Today, in view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces.”

By this order, he said both the police and the army had been authorised to recruit more operatives, saying, “The police will recruit an additional 20,000 officers, bringing the total to 50,000.”

The president also directed that the police could now use National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camps as training depots, noting that although he had previously approved the upgrade of police training institutions, the new security reality required immediate expansion of capacity.

He further ordered that officers being withdrawn from VIP guard duties must undergo crash retraining.

According to him, the exercise is to “debrief them and deliver more efficient police services when deployed to security-challenged areas of the country.”

Tinubu also empowered the Department of State Services (DSS) to activate fully the forest security architecture.

“The DSS also has my authority to immediately deploy all the forest guards already trained to flush out the terrorists and bandits lurking in our forests,” he said, adding that the agency had his directive to recruit additional personnel.

“There will be no more hiding places for agents of evil”, the President said.

Calling the situation “a national emergency,” the President said the federal government was responding by “deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas.”

He appealed to citizens to play their part, saying “the times require all hands on deck. As Nigerians, we should all get involved in securing our nation.”

President Tinubu commended security forces for recent breakthroughs, including the rescue of abducted schoolgirls in Kebbi and the 38 worshippers seized in Kwara State.

“We will continue to sustain the efforts to rescue the remaining students of Catholic School in Niger State and other Nigerians still being held hostage,” he assured.

To military personnel across the country, he delivered a firm charge, saying “I commend your courage and your sacrifice… I charge you to remain resolute, to restore peace across all theatres of operation, and to uphold the highest standards of discipline and integrity. There must be no compromise, no collusion, and no negligence.”

He added that his administration would support them fully to succeed.

Tinubu also pledged federal support to states with existing security outfits and urged the National Assembly to begin a legislative review to allow states that require state police to establish them.

He cautioned state governments against operating boarding schools in remote, unsecured areas, and advised religious institutions to “constantly seek police and other security protection when they gather for prayers, especially in vulnerable areas.”

The President reiterated his administration’s stance on resolving farmer-herder clashes, pointing to the establishment of the Ministry of Livestock Development.

He urged herder groups to abandon open grazing and embrace ranching, saying “I call on all herder associations to take advantage of it, end open grazing and surrender illegal weapons. Ranching is now the path forward”.

Tinubu expressed sympathy to families affected by recent attacks in Kebbi, Borno, Zamfara, Niger, Yobe and Kwara States.

He also paid tribute to fallen soldiers, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba.

“Those who want to test our resolve should never mistake our restraint for weakness. This administration has the courage and determination to keep the country safe and ensure our citizens live in peace”, he warned.

In a rallying call to Nigerians, the President urged unity and vigilance, saying “I urge you not to give in to fear and never succumb to despair… Report suspicious activities. Cooperate with security agencies. We are in this fight together, and together we shall win.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved