news
$2 billion Fraud : Kyari, being probed over funding of the repair work on refineries, others, Says EFCC
![]()
Ex-GCEO: I have nothing to hide
Former Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), Mele Kolo Kyari, is being probed over funding of the repair work on refineries.
He was taken before investigators at the Abuja Headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday.
As of 8:30pm, he had not been allowed to go, raising suspicion whether or not he was detained.
Under investigation, according to sources at the anti-graft agency, are:
•How the over $2 billion meant for Turn-Around Maintenance (TAM) was spent: The money, it was learnt, was made available, thus: $1.55 billion to the Port Harcourt Refinery; $740.6 million (Kaduna Refinery) and $656.9 million (Warri Refinery).
•The contracts awarded during his tenure:
Kyari, before submitting himself to interrogation, had always insisted he had nothing to hide.
In a statement on his invitation, titled: “Hard questions, honest answers”, Kyari said: “I have done my part; the EFCC must do theirs. When each of us does our duty – without fear of favor, with honour, respect and commitment – Nigeria moves forward.”
On arrival at the EFCC headquarters, his international passport was seized.
The four state-run refineries are: Port Harcourt Refining Company (PHRC) (2); Warri Refining and Petrochemical Company (WRPC) and the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company (KRPC).
They have installed capacity to produce 445,000 barrels per day (bpd)
The two Port Harcourt refineries have a combined capacity of 210,000 barrels per day (bpd), Warri has a capacity of 125,000 bpd and Kaduna has 110,000 bpd.
But the refineries remained non-functional for years despite several attempts to refurbish them.
About $18 billion has been sunk into TAM since 2010 but the refineries were still in poor state.
According to an EFCC source, Kyari was asked to “state how much was voted for TAM during his tenure, what was expended and the balance, if any.
“Detectives were also curious to know how N4.8 trillion was incurred as operating costs on the refineries when they weren’t working.
“The most crucial aspect of the investigation is why the refineries broke down shortly after repairs.
“Some of his former top officials have refunded money to the EFCC from TAM cash. Kyari is to explain what he knew about how the slush funds came about.”
The source said: “After the probe of TAM, Kyari will proceed to the second phase of the investigation, which is about the humongous contracts awarded during his tenure.
“So far, we have seized his international passport to limit his movement to the country in the course of investigation.”
TAM has been a major money pit of NNPC in the last three years, in particular.
On June 24, 2022, the Federal Executive Council awarded Maintenance Services for Quick Fix Repairs of Warri Refinery to Daewoo Engineering and Construction Limited at $497, 328, 500.
The contract was different from the 2017 job award to Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited for Tech Plant Survey of Warri and Kaduna Refineries at 2, 025, 000.32 Euros.
The rehabilitation of the Kaduna Refinery and Petro-Chemical Company (KRPC) had, in the past 10 years, gulped N2.26 billion.
The NNPCL approved a renovation deal with Daewoo Engineering and Construction Limited to renovate Kaduna Refinery in February 2023 to restore the refinery to production of 110,000 barrels of petrol per day and at least 60 per cent capacity by early last year.
Kyari was appointed NNPCL GCEO in 2019 and served till April 2, when his appointment was terminated.
On August 28, Kyari’s successor, Bayo Ojulari, said Nigeria lost between $300 million and $500 million monthly while the Port Harcourt Refinery was operating.
He said: “When I resumed, one of the first priorities I focused on was the refinery. I did a quick review to see if we could quickly fix it. What I found is that we were losing between $300 million to $500 million on a monthly basis in the refinery.
“We were pumping about 50,000 barrels of crude to go into the refinery. What was coming out was less than 40 per cent equivalent of what was coming in.”
Ojulari spoke in his Abuja office when he met with the leadership of Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN).
After years of being in comatose, the NNPCL restarted the Port Harcourt Refinery in November, 2024. Kyari announced the reopening of the facility to a huge applause by Nigerians, but the operation was halted in May, barely one month after Ojulari’s resumption.
Ojulari said he halted the operation of the refinery to prevent further losses, and work towards a sustainable arrangement.
Ojulari explained: “The first thing we said was rather than continue to lose, let’s quickly stop and look for a way to put this refinery into a sustainably profitable venture.”
He said the NNPCL was working to revive the moribund refineries to operate at full capacity by adopting the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) model (Public, Private, Partnership), which PENGASSAN advocated during the meeting.
The NNPCL chief said talks were on to find a viable solution to the refining crisis, ensuring the refineries become a sustainably profitable venture.
He said the national oil company had concluded a technical review for the three refineries, pointing out that the long term neglect and lack of maintenance were major reasons behind the huge losses recorded monthly, despite the huge investments to make them work.
The NNPCL chief, who explained that a lot of money has been spent on the refineries, admitted that it has been challenging to translate those funds into profitability.
He likened the situation of the refineries to parking an old car for some time without any greasing and oiling. He added that the Port Harcourt Refinery has been difficult to put back because of years of neglect and it’s been difficult: when you fix one thing, the other thing is still there.
news
Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy
![]()
…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise
…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.
The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.
President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.
According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.
“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.
“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.
Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.
“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.
“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.
The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.
“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.
He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.
The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’