Connect with us

news

I’m under pressure to leave APC – Yari

Published

on

Yari APC

*Insists primaries held in Zamfara

*Says it’s a huge joke to nominate Zamfara Gov candidate from Abuja

Zamfara State Governor, Abdulaziz Yari, on Friday said that he has been under intense pressure to defect from the All Progressives Congress (APC) with his supporters.

Yari, who is the Chairman of Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) spoke with State House correspondents after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the State House, Abuja.

He also handed over the results of the primaries conducted in the state to the President after the Jumaat prayer.

He promised that despite the pressure from his people to dump the APC, he will remain with the party and fight against any injustice.

According to him, his supporters were aggrieved over the turn out of events following the party leadership’s refusal to acknowledge the primaries conducted last week in the state.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had also barred the APC from fielding any candidates for the 2019 poll in Zamfara for not conducting primary elections in the state.

He explained that the development has caused frustration among his supporters.

The governor also warned the national leadership of the party not to present any list that did not emanate from the primaries conducted before the expiration of the deadline for the primaries in the state.

Reacting to reports of his purported romance with the opposition Peoples Democratic Party on the social media, Yari, who was flanked by the Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, said, “I don’t know whether that is a joke or otherwise.

“But for me, if you check my history since 1998, APP, and 2002 when Buhari joined ANPP, and 2015 APC, no time that I shifted from one party to another. That is not in my culture. So, the issue of leaving the party is not true.

“But some other people are sending rumour through the social media. I have seen my picture with the PDP and other parties. Yes, I cannot deny pressure from the people that we should leave APC but what I told them is that what we are looking for is just justice.

“We conducted election and we want to see what the result is going to look. But I think for any body to come under the national secretariat and say he is going to nominate a candidate, I think, it is a very huge joke.” he said

The Zamfara State Governor wondered why the INEC could claim that there were no primaries in the state when the government agencies including the Resident Electoral Commissioner of the electoral umpire was at hand to monitor the process in the state.

He said though there were some hitches in some places in the state that made the committee to postpone primary elections in the affected areas, the process he said was concluded the next day.

He said, “There were hitches somewhere but we decided to suspend the area there were problems until the following day. So, the following day, we continued and we concluded the election by the people nominated by that committee to conduct election but the committee ran away and refused to collate the results.

“So, what we did was that we filed the results and kept it under the watch of those people and waited to see what was going to happen. The second committee waited 32 hours to the closing, we thought the committee will hasten and come up with modalities for the election.

“But committee wasted about 18 hours discussing about how the modalities were going to be. So, when we realised that, we were actually advised by the supervisory agency that is INEC and other agencies there that the best thing to do as the people had voted and since it was 7am was to start counting.

“When they finished, they released the materials and we adopted the numbers. Already, we had produced our own set of forms for the national Assembly which we have done and then, when we concluded, I didn’t see members of the committee until one and half hours to the time.

“Then, when they came I asked them what they came for, they said they came for reconciliation and I said which reconciliation? People can not reconcile over a month and you are trying to reconcile in an hour. Then, I realised that there was a game that was being played so that we can run out of time.” he said

According to him, the national body of APC had other crude ways to produce candidates contrary to section 87 of the Electoral Act that the party must follow a process before producing any candidate.

“Therefore, the most important is that we conducted election on the 3rd and 4th of October and all agencies, INEC, Civil Defence, Police, and DSS were there and they signed for us and the report was written by the REC that elections were conducted.

“Unfortunately, for the INEC to say that there was no election, we don’t know where they got their information but we believe they have a report directly from their representative there that election was held in Zamfara state, so, it depends on what they want to do.

“But, in any way, we were advised when the chairman of the committee came out and said there was no election in Zamfara state, we realised it was going to be a litigation issue. We quickly rushed to court, we filed a case and the case is coming up next week.

“So, I think that is the only saving grace for the party and INEC for court of competent jurisdiction to give judgement on Zamfara matter that there was election.” he stated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Anti-Graft Showdown: EFCC Grabs Malami’s Passport, Probes $400m Abacha Recovery

Published

on

…..Now to report daily for one month from Monday

….. Allegations against me fabricated, says ex-AGF

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday seized the international passport of a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN.

The seizure was part of the ongoing investigation of the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).

Malami cannot travel out of the country in the next one month because the condition for his release at 1am on Saturday was for him to report daily for interaction in EFCC headquarters in Abuja.

But Malami, who said the allegations against him were fabricated, said the truth will unfold soon.

According to the fact-sheet on Malami, he has many issues to clarify with the EFCC in the next one month.

“We have asked him to explain the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).

“We didn’t say he stole money, but he should account for the loot. This is one of the issues he will clarify to our investigators.

“Considering the huge volumes of documents he has to go through and the detectives he needs to interact with, we have seized his international passport.

“One of the conditions for his release on bail at 1am on Saturday was that he should report daily to the EFCC headquarters for interaction.

“He cannot travel out of the country except as mutually agreed with EFCC or with the permission of a High Court.

“We won’t join issues with him on his braggadocio but we will release our findings to the public after painstaking investigation.”

Reacting on his X handle, Malami said the allegations against him were fabricated.

Although he said the truth will soon unfold, he was silent on the seizure of his international passport.

He said: “In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for His divine intervention.

“The engagement was successful, and I am eventually released while on an appointment for further engagement as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold.”

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Tinubu Finally Nominates Ex-INEC Chair Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, 29 Others as Ambassadors

Published

on

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has transmitted a new list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, just days after submitting an initial batch of three names.

In two separate letters addressed to Senate President Godswill Akpabio, President Tinubu urged the lawmakers to give swift consideration and approval to 15 career ambassadors and 17 non-career ambassadors.

The list was released on Saturday in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy.

According to the breakdown, four women were nominated as career ambassadors, while six women made the non-career category.

Notable nominees in the non-career group include Barrister Ogbonnaya Kalu from Abia; former presidential aide Reno Omokri (Delta); former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmud Yakubu; former Ekiti first lady, Erelu Angela Adebayo; and former Enugu governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.

Others are Tasiu Musa Maigari, the former speaker of the Katsina House of Assembly, Yakubu N. Gambo, a former Commissioner in Plateau State and former deputy executive secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).

Professor Nora Ladi Daduut, a former senator from Plateau; Otunba Femi Pedro, a former deputy governor of Lagos State; Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, a former aviation minister from Osun State; and Barrister Nkechi Linda Ufochukwu from Anambra State are on the nomination list.

Also on the list are former First Lady of Oyo, Fatima Florence Ajimobi, former Lagos Commissioner, Lola Akande, former Adamawa Senator, Grace Bent, former governor of Abia, Victor Okezie Ikpeazu, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, businessman, lawyer and Senator from Ondo State, and the former ambassador of Nigeria to the Holy See, Ambassador Paul Oga Adikwu from Benue State.

Among the nominees for career ambassador and high commissioner-designates are: Enebechi Monica Okwuchukwu (Abia), Yakubu Nyaku Danladi (Taraba), Miamuna Ibrahim Besto (Adamawa), Musa Musa Abubakar (Kebbi), Syndoph Paebi Endoni (Bayelsa), Chima Geoffrey Lioma David (Ebonyi) and Mopelola Adeola-Ibrahim (Ogun).

The other nominees are Abimbola Samuel Reuben (Ondo), Yvonne Ehinosen Odumah(Edo), Hamza Mohammed Salau (Niger), Ambassador Shehu Barde (Katsina), Ambassador Ahmed Mohammed Monguno (Borno), Ambassador Muhammad Saidu Dahiru (Kaduna), Ambassador Olatunji Ahmed Sulu Gambari (Kawara) and Ambassador Wahab Adekola Akande (Osun).

The new nominees are expected to be posted to countries with which Nigeria maintains excellent and strategic bilateral relations, such as China, India, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, South Africa, Kenya, and to Permanent Missions such as the United Nations, UNESCO, and the African Union. All the nominees will know their diplomatic assignments after their confirmation by the Senate.

Last week, President Tinubu sent three ambassadorial nominees for screening and confirmation. The nominees were Ambassador Ayodele Oke (Oyo), Ambassador Amin Mohammed Dalhatu (Jigawa), and Retired Colonel Lateef Kayode Are (Ogun). All three are in the pot for posting to the UK, USA, or France after their confirmation.

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Security State of Emergency, Approves Major Recruitment Drive for Military and Police — “We Will Smoke Out All Criminal Elements”

Published

on

…tasks herders to abandon open grazing, embrace ranching, surrender arms

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide security emergency in response to the wave of violent attacks across parts of the country, announcing sweeping directives for expanded recruitment into the Armed Forces and Police, the activation of forest guards, and tighter security measures for all vulnerable areas.

In a statement personally he issued, President Tinubu said, “Today, in view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces.”

By this order, he said both the police and the army had been authorised to recruit more operatives, saying, “The police will recruit an additional 20,000 officers, bringing the total to 50,000.”

The president also directed that the police could now use National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camps as training depots, noting that although he had previously approved the upgrade of police training institutions, the new security reality required immediate expansion of capacity.

He further ordered that officers being withdrawn from VIP guard duties must undergo crash retraining.

According to him, the exercise is to “debrief them and deliver more efficient police services when deployed to security-challenged areas of the country.”

Tinubu also empowered the Department of State Services (DSS) to activate fully the forest security architecture.

“The DSS also has my authority to immediately deploy all the forest guards already trained to flush out the terrorists and bandits lurking in our forests,” he said, adding that the agency had his directive to recruit additional personnel.

“There will be no more hiding places for agents of evil”, the President said.

Calling the situation “a national emergency,” the President said the federal government was responding by “deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas.”

He appealed to citizens to play their part, saying “the times require all hands on deck. As Nigerians, we should all get involved in securing our nation.”

President Tinubu commended security forces for recent breakthroughs, including the rescue of abducted schoolgirls in Kebbi and the 38 worshippers seized in Kwara State.

“We will continue to sustain the efforts to rescue the remaining students of Catholic School in Niger State and other Nigerians still being held hostage,” he assured.

To military personnel across the country, he delivered a firm charge, saying “I commend your courage and your sacrifice… I charge you to remain resolute, to restore peace across all theatres of operation, and to uphold the highest standards of discipline and integrity. There must be no compromise, no collusion, and no negligence.”

He added that his administration would support them fully to succeed.

Tinubu also pledged federal support to states with existing security outfits and urged the National Assembly to begin a legislative review to allow states that require state police to establish them.

He cautioned state governments against operating boarding schools in remote, unsecured areas, and advised religious institutions to “constantly seek police and other security protection when they gather for prayers, especially in vulnerable areas.”

The President reiterated his administration’s stance on resolving farmer-herder clashes, pointing to the establishment of the Ministry of Livestock Development.

He urged herder groups to abandon open grazing and embrace ranching, saying “I call on all herder associations to take advantage of it, end open grazing and surrender illegal weapons. Ranching is now the path forward”.

Tinubu expressed sympathy to families affected by recent attacks in Kebbi, Borno, Zamfara, Niger, Yobe and Kwara States.

He also paid tribute to fallen soldiers, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba.

“Those who want to test our resolve should never mistake our restraint for weakness. This administration has the courage and determination to keep the country safe and ensure our citizens live in peace”, he warned.

In a rallying call to Nigerians, the President urged unity and vigilance, saying “I urge you not to give in to fear and never succumb to despair… Report suspicious activities. Cooperate with security agencies. We are in this fight together, and together we shall win.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved