Connect with us

news

OPL 245 Oil Field : Adoke tackles Malami over link to JP Morgan’s case

Published

on

A former Attorney-General of the Federation Mohammed Adoke (SAN) yesterday faulted what he described lies against him in the Federal Government’s case against J.P Morgan before an English court.

In a March 3 letter to his successor Abubakar Malami (SAN) through his lawyer Paul Erokoro (SAN), Adoke said it was not possible for the AGF to be unaware that lies were being told about him in the proceedings.

According to Adoke, the Nigerian government, in explaining how he allegedly benefitted from the OPL 245 deal, informed the court that he contacted JP Morgan through phone calls and email.

Adoke told Malami that grave injustice would be done him if urgent steps were not taken by his office to properly inform and guide the English court on the facts needed to assist it to arrive at a just determination of the suit.

He said the AGF has a duty to bring to the court’s attention all exculpating circumstances, including a Federal High Court judgment exonerating him in the OPL 245 resolution Agreement of 2011; the outcome of a police investigation which had indicted Olanrewaju Suraju of forgery, and the fact that the AGF’s office filed charges against Suraju for forgery of the email that had been falsely sent in Adoke’s name.

Adoke also asked Malami to supply the evidence given by prosecution witnesses to a Nigerian court that he (Adoke) did not corruptly enrich himself in the implementation of the OPL 245 Resolution Agreement, and that the N300m that was in issue had been proven to have been a mortgage transaction between our client and Unity Bank of Nigeria, amongst others.

The former minister absolved himself of any complicity in the case.

“Our client is concerned that you, the Attorney-General of Nigeria, have instructed counsel in England to the above effect or have allowed those instructions to be given, or allowed those ‘facts’ to be presented in a court of law, when you are fully aware that they are not true,” Erokoro wrote.

Adoke recalled that Malami, on September 20, 2017, had written the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Acting Chairman on the Malabu case to inform him that “investigation and attached proof of evidence does not appear to have clearly revealed the case of fraud against the parties…”

He also recalled that in Malami’s letter to the President on September 15, 2017, he had also advised that the matter “be resolved in the national interest thereby saving the nation from acrimonious litigations resulting in high legal fees and the dormancy of the oil field while litigation lasted”.

Adoke also recalled that former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu, had aligned himself with Malami’s advice.

The former minister noted that the Federal High Court, relying on Malami’s letter to the EFCC Acting Chairman, declared that Adoke’s involvement in the negotiations leading to the implementation of a Settlement Agreement between Malabu Oil & Gas Limited and the Federal Government and the eventual execution of Bloc 245 Malabu Resolution Agreement dated 29th April 2011 “was in furtherance of the lawful directives/approval of the President in the exercise of his executive powers.”

“As you are well aware, the FGN did not appeal that judgment, the legal implication being that the judgment represents the truth of the matters that it decided, for all time,” Adoke said.

On the allegation of bribery against him, Adoke noted that an Italian Court had discharged and acquitted all defendants involved in the OPL 245 Resolution Agreement case.

Besides, Adoke said Malami had given the government similar advice he (Adoke) gave in the past.

His lawyer wrote: “Our client finds it remarkable that you are portraying him as corrupt for giving the same advice that you have so wisely given the government.

“Surely, you would not expect a future Attorney-General to say that you too were corrupted by Malabu since you gave the same legal advice that had earlier been given by our client.

“There can be no doubt that you did the right thing in advising the government to bring the Shell/Malabu dispute to a tidy close so that Nigeria can earn the huge revenue promised by the OPL 245 Oil Field.

“There is no fraud whatsoever in your legal advice on this point, just as there was none in our client’s.”

Adoke said it was unjustifiable for Malami to allow his successor’s name to be “dragged in the mud in an effort to deceive a foreign court into believing that our client had acted corruptly”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Anti-Graft Showdown: EFCC Grabs Malami’s Passport, Probes $400m Abacha Recovery

Published

on

…..Now to report daily for one month from Monday

….. Allegations against me fabricated, says ex-AGF

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday seized the international passport of a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Abubakar Malami, SAN.

The seizure was part of the ongoing investigation of the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).

Malami cannot travel out of the country in the next one month because the condition for his release at 1am on Saturday was for him to report daily for interaction in EFCC headquarters in Abuja.

But Malami, who said the allegations against him were fabricated, said the truth will unfold soon.

According to the fact-sheet on Malami, he has many issues to clarify with the EFCC in the next one month.

“We have asked him to explain the whereabouts of $490 million Abacha loot secured through Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT).

“We didn’t say he stole money, but he should account for the loot. This is one of the issues he will clarify to our investigators.

“Considering the huge volumes of documents he has to go through and the detectives he needs to interact with, we have seized his international passport.

“One of the conditions for his release on bail at 1am on Saturday was that he should report daily to the EFCC headquarters for interaction.

“He cannot travel out of the country except as mutually agreed with EFCC or with the permission of a High Court.

“We won’t join issues with him on his braggadocio but we will release our findings to the public after painstaking investigation.”

Reacting on his X handle, Malami said the allegations against him were fabricated.

Although he said the truth will soon unfold, he was silent on the seizure of his international passport.

He said: “In line with my undertaking to keep Nigerians updated on my invitation by EFCC, I give glory to Allah for His divine intervention.

“The engagement was successful, and I am eventually released while on an appointment for further engagement as the truth relating to the fabricated allegations against me continues to unfold.”

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Tinubu Finally Nominates Ex-INEC Chair Yakubu, Fani-Kayode, Omokri, 29 Others as Ambassadors

Published

on

 

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has transmitted a new list of 32 ambassadorial nominees to the Senate for confirmation, just days after submitting an initial batch of three names.

In two separate letters addressed to Senate President Godswill Akpabio, President Tinubu urged the lawmakers to give swift consideration and approval to 15 career ambassadors and 17 non-career ambassadors.

The list was released on Saturday in a statement by Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy.

According to the breakdown, four women were nominated as career ambassadors, while six women made the non-career category.

Notable nominees in the non-career group include Barrister Ogbonnaya Kalu from Abia; former presidential aide Reno Omokri (Delta); former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmud Yakubu; former Ekiti first lady, Erelu Angela Adebayo; and former Enugu governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.

Others are Tasiu Musa Maigari, the former speaker of the Katsina House of Assembly, Yakubu N. Gambo, a former Commissioner in Plateau State and former deputy executive secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC).

Professor Nora Ladi Daduut, a former senator from Plateau; Otunba Femi Pedro, a former deputy governor of Lagos State; Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, a former aviation minister from Osun State; and Barrister Nkechi Linda Ufochukwu from Anambra State are on the nomination list.

Also on the list are former First Lady of Oyo, Fatima Florence Ajimobi, former Lagos Commissioner, Lola Akande, former Adamawa Senator, Grace Bent, former governor of Abia, Victor Okezie Ikpeazu, Senator Jimoh Ibrahim, businessman, lawyer and Senator from Ondo State, and the former ambassador of Nigeria to the Holy See, Ambassador Paul Oga Adikwu from Benue State.

Among the nominees for career ambassador and high commissioner-designates are: Enebechi Monica Okwuchukwu (Abia), Yakubu Nyaku Danladi (Taraba), Miamuna Ibrahim Besto (Adamawa), Musa Musa Abubakar (Kebbi), Syndoph Paebi Endoni (Bayelsa), Chima Geoffrey Lioma David (Ebonyi) and Mopelola Adeola-Ibrahim (Ogun).

The other nominees are Abimbola Samuel Reuben (Ondo), Yvonne Ehinosen Odumah(Edo), Hamza Mohammed Salau (Niger), Ambassador Shehu Barde (Katsina), Ambassador Ahmed Mohammed Monguno (Borno), Ambassador Muhammad Saidu Dahiru (Kaduna), Ambassador Olatunji Ahmed Sulu Gambari (Kawara) and Ambassador Wahab Adekola Akande (Osun).

The new nominees are expected to be posted to countries with which Nigeria maintains excellent and strategic bilateral relations, such as China, India, South Korea, Canada, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, South Africa, Kenya, and to Permanent Missions such as the United Nations, UNESCO, and the African Union. All the nominees will know their diplomatic assignments after their confirmation by the Senate.

Last week, President Tinubu sent three ambassadorial nominees for screening and confirmation. The nominees were Ambassador Ayodele Oke (Oyo), Ambassador Amin Mohammed Dalhatu (Jigawa), and Retired Colonel Lateef Kayode Are (Ogun). All three are in the pot for posting to the UK, USA, or France after their confirmation.

Continue Reading

news

BREAKING: Tinubu Declares Security State of Emergency, Approves Major Recruitment Drive for Military and Police — “We Will Smoke Out All Criminal Elements”

Published

on

…tasks herders to abandon open grazing, embrace ranching, surrender arms

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide security emergency in response to the wave of violent attacks across parts of the country, announcing sweeping directives for expanded recruitment into the Armed Forces and Police, the activation of forest guards, and tighter security measures for all vulnerable areas.

In a statement personally he issued, President Tinubu said, “Today, in view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces.”

By this order, he said both the police and the army had been authorised to recruit more operatives, saying, “The police will recruit an additional 20,000 officers, bringing the total to 50,000.”

The president also directed that the police could now use National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camps as training depots, noting that although he had previously approved the upgrade of police training institutions, the new security reality required immediate expansion of capacity.

He further ordered that officers being withdrawn from VIP guard duties must undergo crash retraining.

According to him, the exercise is to “debrief them and deliver more efficient police services when deployed to security-challenged areas of the country.”

Tinubu also empowered the Department of State Services (DSS) to activate fully the forest security architecture.

“The DSS also has my authority to immediately deploy all the forest guards already trained to flush out the terrorists and bandits lurking in our forests,” he said, adding that the agency had his directive to recruit additional personnel.

“There will be no more hiding places for agents of evil”, the President said.

Calling the situation “a national emergency,” the President said the federal government was responding by “deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas.”

He appealed to citizens to play their part, saying “the times require all hands on deck. As Nigerians, we should all get involved in securing our nation.”

President Tinubu commended security forces for recent breakthroughs, including the rescue of abducted schoolgirls in Kebbi and the 38 worshippers seized in Kwara State.

“We will continue to sustain the efforts to rescue the remaining students of Catholic School in Niger State and other Nigerians still being held hostage,” he assured.

To military personnel across the country, he delivered a firm charge, saying “I commend your courage and your sacrifice… I charge you to remain resolute, to restore peace across all theatres of operation, and to uphold the highest standards of discipline and integrity. There must be no compromise, no collusion, and no negligence.”

He added that his administration would support them fully to succeed.

Tinubu also pledged federal support to states with existing security outfits and urged the National Assembly to begin a legislative review to allow states that require state police to establish them.

He cautioned state governments against operating boarding schools in remote, unsecured areas, and advised religious institutions to “constantly seek police and other security protection when they gather for prayers, especially in vulnerable areas.”

The President reiterated his administration’s stance on resolving farmer-herder clashes, pointing to the establishment of the Ministry of Livestock Development.

He urged herder groups to abandon open grazing and embrace ranching, saying “I call on all herder associations to take advantage of it, end open grazing and surrender illegal weapons. Ranching is now the path forward”.

Tinubu expressed sympathy to families affected by recent attacks in Kebbi, Borno, Zamfara, Niger, Yobe and Kwara States.

He also paid tribute to fallen soldiers, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba.

“Those who want to test our resolve should never mistake our restraint for weakness. This administration has the courage and determination to keep the country safe and ensure our citizens live in peace”, he warned.

In a rallying call to Nigerians, the President urged unity and vigilance, saying “I urge you not to give in to fear and never succumb to despair… Report suspicious activities. Cooperate with security agencies. We are in this fight together, and together we shall win.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved