Connect with us

news

Political appointees, friends shun Fayose’s farewell dinner

Published

on

Political appointees, friends shun Fayose's farewell dinner

…Food, drinks wasted

The reality of life outside power has begun to dawn on outgoing Ekiti State Governor Ayo Fayose as he is being deserted by loyalists before finally leaving the exalted number one seat.

Many of the political office holders, aides party faithful and supporters of the governor shunned a farewell dinner held in his honour on Friday night at the Government House, Ado-Ekiti.

The failed dinner was one of the week long activities to mark the end of Fayose’s tenure. A new governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, will be inaugurated on Tuesday at Ekiti Parapo Pavilion, Ado-Ekiti.

The sight of empty seats and wasted food and drinks were the major feature of the dinner at the Government House paivilion.

The dinner which ought to have begun at 7:00pm stipulated time, could not record up to 20 of the expected guests till about 12 midnight

Only journalists, armed security men, protocol officers and members of the team of a musician contracted to perform at the ceremony were present, as at 11pm.

Those conspicuously absent at the valedictory dinner were members of the state House of Assembly and political appointees loyal to the governor, Commissioners and Permanent Secretaries.

The development made food and drinks meant for the entertainment of guests to be wasted.

A Government House source disclosed that many of those invited are agitated over one issue or the other.

The source, who craved anonymity, disclosed that aside from the governor who paid himself and his deputy lump sum as severance package, including parting vehicles, none of the remaining appointees was paid a dime.

“Besides, all the 16 Local Government chairmen are battling to save their jobs in the court, as information was rife on Friday that the incoming governor had concluded arrangement to dissolve the councils anytime soon after his swearing-in on Tuesday.

“The comments of the governor earlier in the day also sounded shocking to most political appointees when he told them that whatever that anyone of them may likely encounter in the hands of the new governor should be taken calmly as such were a prize of leadership.

Commenting on the development, one of the personal domestic staff of the outgoing governor, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, said he was not in any way disappointed by the people’s attitude, as such was common with human beings.

He recalled that when the governor was still very much in power, thousands of people would always answer his call at the slightest notice, such that the venue of any event organized by him was always overcrowded.

A political appointee who spoke in confidence said: “How do you expect me at such a dinner. Fayose only took care of himself and family, he did not take care of us because majority of us who served under him are suffering.

“As I am talking to you, he had not paid our severance allowance and his owing us many allowances. He denied us opportunities to assist people in our constituencies. That is why myself and a good number of my colleagues shunned the so-called dinner.”

Before the failed dinner, the governor had evening handed over the instruments of office to the Head of Service, Dr. Gbenga Faseluka.

He surrendered the handover note to Fsseluka at a special valedictory State Executive Council meeting at the new Governor’s Office in Ado-Ekiti, the state capital.

Fayose said history would be kind to him the way he managed the resources in trust for the people of the state.

He said he would be available to answer questions on who he ruled the state anytime he is called upon to do so.

Fayose said: “What has a beginning must have an end. It is not the number of years spent but the quantity and quality of achievements.

“I thank the people of the state for their cooperation and urge them to extend same to the incoming administration.

“I’m a man who came, saw and conquered. I can’t finish all, I have done my best.

“History will be kind on me as a man who has given his best to the people. I will remember all for your support, I bear no grudges against anyone.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy

Published

on

…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise

…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.

The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.

President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.

According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.

“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.

“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.

Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.

“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.

The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.

“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.

Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.

He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.

The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.

Continue Reading

news

Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage

Published

on

Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.

A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.

The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.

Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.

There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.

Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.

Continue Reading

news

Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate

Published

on

There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.

Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.

Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.

The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.

The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved