Connect with us

news

UPDATED: Two Ansaru Leaders Get Life Imprisonment Over Oyo Kidnapping

Published

on

…Usman, Abba plead mercy

A Federal High Court in Abuja has sentenced a man who claimed to be 50 years old and father of 19 children, Mahmud Usman, to life imprisonment after pleading guilty to offences of kidnapping for ransom, terrorism, among others.

Usman (also known as Abu Bara’a, Abbas and Mukhtar), described by the prosecution as the self-styled Emir of Ansaru, was sentenced, along with his co-defendant, Abubakar Abba (also known as Mahmud al-Nigeri and Malam Mamuda), who is said to be the group’s deputy leader and chief of staff.

Usman and Abba were arraigned earlier this year on a 32-count charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS).

The two are said to be among the key terrorist leaders who were behind the Oriire, Oyo State school kidnap and demanded to be released by the government.

During their arraignment, Usman pleaded guilty to a count of illegal mining for funding terrorism/arms, and was sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment.

He pleaded not guilty to the other 31 counts, while his co-defendant, Abba, pleaded not guilty to all the 32 counts.

On July 9, however, Abba informed the court of his intention to withdraw his earlier not guilty plea, but needed some time to consult with his lawyer, a request Justice Emeka Nwite granted and adjourned till July 20.

On Monday, both defendants pleaded guilty to the 32 counts when they were read to them, following which Justice Nwite convicted them accordingly.

While appealing to the court to be lenient in sentencing the defendants, their lawyer, Bala Dakun, said by pleading guilty, his clients now appreciate the gravity of the offence they admitted to committing.

Dakun said the convicts’ guilty pleas were not intended to trivialise the offence or justify their conduct, but a show of remorse and repentance, while seeking mercy from the court.

He said the convicts saved the time of the court and the resources and time the prosecution would have deployed in bringing witnesses to the court and proving their case beyond reasonable doubt.

Dakun told the court that Usman is 50 years old, with 19 children and the sole provider of the family.

He said the second defendant, Abba, is 35 years old, with three children and a wife.

The defence lawyer said both defendants suffer from arthritis and ulcers.

Dakun said his clients promised to work with security agencies by providing them information about the operation, financing and network of the terrorist groups in the country.

He said the convicts should be granted amnesty as has been done for some repentant Boko Haram members, who have been rehabilitated.

With the permission of the court, Usman spoke in English and said he felt remorseful and that they admitted the offences, for the court to have mercy on them and their dependants, who will suffer in their absence.

Usman, who admitted having 19 children, said he suffers from bad health and that he was planning to return to school before he was arrested.

After listening to Dakun and Usman, Justice Nwite, who rose briefly, returned to hand out the sentences. He sentenced the two to life imprisonment in relation to counts 30 and 31.

The judge also sentenced them to 20 years, without an option of fine, on counts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 32.

The two defendants were handed 25 years in respect of count 11, while only the second defendant (Abba) got 15 years in respect of count 10.

Justice Nwite ordered that the sentences shall run concurrently from the date of their arrest.

The defendants were arrested by the prosecuting agency (DSS) in separate operations between May and July 2025.

They were charged with various offences including terrorism and terrorism financing, kidnapping for ransom, illegal mining, funding terrorism, fabricating Improvised Explosive Devices (IED), among other charges.

The two defendants were equally accused of coordinating sleeper cells, attacks, and maintaining ties with terrorist groups in the Sahel/Maghreb region.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Gbajabiamila to Head Five Governors, Others at Nigeria–Canada Conference

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved a Federal Government delegation led by his Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, to represent Nigeria at the maiden Nigeria Diaspora Investment Economic Conference in Toronto, Canada.

The delegation includes Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum, Anambra State Governor Chukwuma Soludo, Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani, Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang and Zamfara State Governor Dauda Lawal.

The conference, themed “Invest Nigeria, Thrive Abroad,” is scheduled to hold from August 12 to 15 in Toronto.

The development was announced in a statement issued by Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, on X on Friday.

According to the statement, members of the delegation also include the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu; Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Jumoke Oduwole; and Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo.

Representatives of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Immigration Service, Nigeria Revenue Service, Nigeria Investment Promotion Commission, Nigeria Export Promotion Council and the National Information Technology Development Agency are also expected to participate.

The statement said Canadian officials expected at the conference include President of the Treasury Board of Canada, Shafqat Ali; Ontario Minister of Citizenship and Multiculturalism, Graham McGregor; Ontario lawmaker Deepak Anand; Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown; Councillor Rod Power; and Ontario Minister of Women and Economic Opportunities, Charmaine Williams.

How to become next Miss Nigeria
Quoting the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NiDCOM, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the statement said, “The calibre of officials attending the conference demonstrates President Tinubu’s commitment to strengthening economic cooperation between Nigeria and Canada through trade, investment and diaspora engagement.”

It further quoted Dabiri-Erewa as saying the event “is more than a conference” and is designed as “an outcome-driven investment platform” that will connect international investors with “investment-ready” opportunities across key sectors of Nigeria’s economy while strengthening bilateral economic relations between the two countries.

According to the statement, the conference is being organised by NiDCOM in collaboration with the Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa, the Canadian High Commission in Abuja and other stakeholders.

It said discussions will focus on agriculture, technology, manufacturing, infrastructure, energy, healthcare and the digital economy.

Newsthumb reports that the Nigeria Diaspora Investment Economic Conference is the first investment-focused forum organised by the Federal Government through NiDCOM to promote economic partnerships between Nigeria and its diaspora community.

According to the World Bank, Nigeria is one of Africa’s largest recipients of diaspora remittances, with annual inflows amounting to billions of dollars.

Continue Reading

news

Breaking : Osun Election: Tinubu Intervenes, Orders EFCC to Unfreeze Osun Government Accounts

Published

on


…says action could undermine public confidence in electoral process

…insists anti-graft agencies must remain independent but avoid actions suggesting political interference

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Thursday directed the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to immediately take steps to vacate a court order freezing the bank accounts of the Osun State Government, saying the timing of the action, just days before the state’s governorship election, could create the impression of federal interference in the electoral process.

The President said although he respects the constitutional independence of the anti-graft agency and had no prior knowledge of its action, he was compelled to intervene in the overriding public interest to preserve public confidence in the credibility and fairness of Nigeria’s democratic process. NigerianBusiness Coverage

The EFCC had on Wednesday froze the accounts of the Osun State Government, placing a Post No Debit (PND), on its First Bank account, alleging fraudulent handling of N11 billion ecology funds, intervention funds and Federal Account Allocation Committee (FAAC).

However, in a personally signed statement issued from the State House, Abuja, President Tinubu disclosed that the EFCC had obtained the court order on August 5, 2026, freezing the accounts of the Osun State Government.

He said he was “deeply embarrassed” by the timing of the development, explaining that actions taken by federal institutions are often attributed to the President, regardless of whether he authorised them.

“It has come to my notice that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) obtained a court order on August 5, 2026, freezing the accounts of the Osun State Government. I must state that I feel deeply embarrassed not by the EFCC’s exercise of its mandate backed by a court order, but by the timing of the agency’s action.

“This is so because every action taken by an institution of State, especially at the Federal level, is always credited to me, as the President, even when I may not have had any prior knowledge of the action”, the President said.

Tinubu reiterated his long-standing policy of allowing anti-corruption and law enforcement agencies to carry out their statutory responsibilities without political interference, stressing that he had deliberately refrained from directing the operational activities of the EFCC and other investigative bodies since assuming office.

He said, “since assuming office, I have consistently maintained that anti-corruption and law enforcement agencies must be allowed to discharge their statutory responsibilities independently, professionally, without fear or favour, or political interference.

“I have therefore deliberately refrained from directing or interfering in the operational activities of the EFCC or any other investigative or prosecutorial agency because I firmly believe that strong democratic institutions, operating within the confines of the law, are indispensable to democratic good governance and the rule of law”, he said.

The President maintained that institutions established by law should be allowed to exercise their powers independently and without requiring presidential approval for routine operational decisions.

However, he said the circumstances surrounding the EFCC’s action required presidential intervention because of the proximity of the Osun governorship election.

“As President, I am committed to allowing institutions of State to function and take any action they consider necessary in the interest of proper governance without the need for any prior approval. Indeed, that is why institutions are set up by law with clearly defined powers.

“While I am yet to be fully apprised of the facts which informed the action of EFCC in approaching the court to obtain the said order freezing the Osun State Government account, I am not in the slightest doubt that the timing of the action of EFCC is inauspicious, and therefore I feel compelled to intervene”, he said.

The President warned that no action by any federal agency should create the perception that the Federal Government was attempting to influence the outcome of the forthcoming governorship poll.

“Osun State is only a few days away from its gubernatorial election. Therefore, nothing ought to be done to give an impression that the EFCC or indeed any other agency of the federal government is being used to interfere with the election”, he stated.

Tinubu said preserving public confidence in the integrity of the electoral process was paramount, adding that he was duty-bound to act in the national interest.

“Based on the foregoing premise, I am duty-bound to issue a directive on this issue in consonance with the overriding public interest in preserving public confidence and the integrity, credibility, and fairness of our democratic process”, he said.

The President consequently directed the anti-graft agency to immediately reverse its legal action against the Osun State Government.

“Accordingly, I have directed the EFCC to immediately proceed to the court to vacate the order and discontinue whatever action it has instituted against the Osun State Government in this regard”, Tinubu declared.

Continue Reading

news

Breaking : 176 Woro Abductees, 132 Others Freed in Major Multi-State Rescue Operation

Published

on


A total of 308 kidnapped victims, including 176 residents of Woro community in Kwara State and 132 others abducted in Niger and Kebbi states, have been rescued in a coordinated multi-state security operation.

The successful operation, carried out by security agencies, marks a significant breakthrough in ongoing efforts to combat kidnapping and restore peace across the affected communities. Authorities said the rescued victims have been reunited with their families, while efforts are underway to apprehend the perpetrators and dismantle the criminal networks responsible for the abductions.

The rescue underscores the commitment of security agencies to strengthening intelligence-driven operations and ensuring the safety of lives and property across the country. Further details on the operation and ongoing investigations are expected from the relevant authorities.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved