Connect with us

news

COVID-19: Governors in self-isolation as ministers undergo test

Published

on

  • Airlines suspend local flights
  • Cases now 51

Following the positive COVID-19 result for Chief of Staff to the President Mallam Abba Kyari and Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed, some of the governors who had contact with them have gone into self-isolation.

No fewer than eight ministers have also been tested to determine their status.

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, who self-isolated himself has tested negative to the virus. The Presidency on Wednesday confirmed that President Muhammadu Buhari tested negative.

Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola and his wife, Kafayat, both tested negative, the governor announced yesterday in Osogbo, the state capital.

Both Kyari and Mohammed attended high-level government meetings before the results of their test were received.

Governors Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Godwin Obaseki (Edo) and Abubakar Sani-Bello (Niger) have gone into self-isolation.

Fayemi, who is the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) chairman, said he took Coronavirus test despite not having any of symptoms of the virus.

He however did not say the outcome of the test in the tweet in which he explained that he opted to isolate in order to protect people that may have come in contact with him.

According to a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Yinka Oyebode, Fayemi said: “No cause for alarm, I just took this step as a normal precautionary measure.

“In the circumstance we find ourselves today, every citizen must engage in personal hygiene and take actions that can help us overcome this challenge and that is exactly what I have done.

“I had gone in contact with those having suspected cases and I felt I have to do this to help the situation…”

Adviser to Obaseki, Mr Crusoe Osagie said: “The governor has gone into self-isolation after the Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed and Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari, tested positive for Coronavirus.

“The governor met Senator Mohammed at the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) and National Economic Council (NEC) meetings. He also visited Mr. Kyari.”

He explained that although the governor was not showing any symptoms of the virus, “he has taken the necessary precaution to self-isolate to protect people that may otherwise come in contact with him”.

Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu said Obaseki “avoided meeting with everybody, upon his arrival in Benin City from Abuja and he maintained social distance, before going into self-isolation.

Shaibu added that six persons had been isolated in the state  while samples of five of them had  been taken for test.

In Minna, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Sani-Bello, Mrs. Mary Noel Berje, said her boss, decided to “embark on self-isolation considering the fact that as a public figure, he must have had contact with some confirmed contact cases of COVID-19 .

“Considering the fact that I(Sani-Bello)  was in Abuja the whole of last week to participate in the APC meeting with the President, the NGF  meeting, NEC   meeting and the World Bank breakfast meeting, as a way of leading by example, I have placed myself on isolation and waiting to be tested, along with members of my family.”

It was learnt that the governor had directed all his close aides and cabinet members to seclude themselves.

The Disease Control Unit of the Bauchi State Ministry of Health said it had directed   27 persons (mostly aides of Governor   Mohammed)  to self-isolate.

Twenty Osun State judges and 22   officials of Yobe State Government are currently on seclusion after returning from foreign trips.

The Director-General of Nigeria Governors’ Forum Asishana Okauru also went into seclusion having met with Bauchi State Governor Mohammed.

Okauru urged all members of the NGF and the secretariat staff invited to the last meeting of the forum to also self-isolate.

Okauru said that his wife, a former Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Omoigui, and other members of his nucleus family, had also gone into self-isolation..

“I wish to inform the general public that my wife, together with my entire household, will be proceeding on self-isolation.

“We are taking this action following my exposure to His Excellency, Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State who today (Tuesday) announced the positive outcome of his test for COVID-19.

“I attended different meetings of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum and the Nigerian Economic Council last week, which were also attended by the Bauchi State Governor.

“Consequently, my wife and I would be undergoing COVID-19 testing this week.

“All members of NGF secretariat that were exposed will also be observing self-isolation. We encourage all those who were invited to the NGF meetings for presentations to also do same.

“By our actions, we hope to encourage others who are exposed and not sure of their status to undergo self-isolation and make themselves available for the test, where applicable,” he said.

20 Osun judges, returnee Yobe officials in self-exclusion

Osun State government said yesterday that 22 judges in the state are in isolation after they returned from the United Arab Emirates.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamontu, said the judges returned to the state after  attending  an 11-day  international conference that ended March 20 .

He said: “The judges went into isolation immediately they arrived from the United Arab Emirates last weekend to ascertain their medical status.  They are in self-isolation and we are monitoring them.”

Also, 22 officials of the Yobe State Government that returned from Dubai last week have placed themselves on a 14-day self-isolation

Some of the returnees said they tested negative for the virus on their arrival from the oil-rich Emirate.

One of them said, “We were subjected to all the screening procedures both in  Dubai and at  the  Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport,  Abuja. The good thing is that none of us was positive for  the virus at  the time we were all tested.

“Naturally, the global protocol requires our self-isolation and we have to undergo that before we re-unite with our families and friends. This is exactly what we are doing. We have to do that to disabuse the mind of the people of the state. The truth is that none of us will like to put our families or any citizen of the state in danger.’’

The Acting Head of the state civil service, Mohammed Nura; the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Basic Education and Secondary Education, Yakubu Doskshi and the Special Adviser on  Politics to Governor Mai Mala, Aji Yerima Bularafa,  confirmed that the returnees had gone into self-isolation.

Akeredolu, Sule: we’re not in isolation

Ondo State Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu and his Nasarawa State counterpart, Abdullahi Sule have denied reports that they were in self-isolation.

They said there was not nothing shameful in self-exclusion and therefore would not avoid it  should the need arose

Akeredolu, who addressed reporters alongside Commissioner of Police Undie Adie said he would not have come out if he were on self-isolation.

The Director of Strategic Communication and Press Affairs to Nasarawa State  governor, Mr Yakubu ,  said, “If indeed Engineer Abdullahi  Sule goes into self -isolation, we shall make a formal statement to that effect.

“There is nothing to hide about COVID 19 in the entire world as also in Nasarawa State“

Lamai urged the public to disregard reports  in some social media platforms insinuating that the governor had gone on self-isolation.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy

Published

on

…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise

…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.

The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.

President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.

According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.

“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.

“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.

Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.

“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.

The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.

“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.

Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.

He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.

The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.

Continue Reading

news

Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage

Published

on

Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.

A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.

The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.

Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.

There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.

Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.

Continue Reading

news

Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate

Published

on

There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.

Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.

Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.

The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.

The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved