Connect with us

news

COVID-19: Public institutions not ready- says ASUU  

Published

on

University students across the country appear not ready for reopening yet despite Thursday’s advice by the presidential task force (PTF) on COVID-19 that school administrators should set machinery in motion for resumption of academic work.

The National Coordinator of PTF, Sani Aliyu, had directed school administrators to conduct risk assessment and ensure compliance with COVID-19 safety protocols preparatory to resumption of classes.

He gave no specific date for the resumption of academic work.

Reports from across the states suggest that private universities generally are ahead of the public owned institutions in their preparations for resumption.

Federal universities in particular are not showing signs of being anywhere near resumption.

Lecturers in such institutions have been on strike since March  over the non-implementation of the 2009 ASUU/FGN Agreement and disagreement over the Integrated Personnel Payroll Information System (IPPIS), among other issues.

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) declared last week that facilities in many universities are not COVID-19 compliant.

Addressing reporters at the mini campus of the Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, the Coordinator of the Lagos Zone of ASUU, Prof. Olusiji Sowande, warned that it would be “suicidal” for universities to resume in an environment devoid of facilities to observe safe physical and social distancing.

ASUU said no concrete steps had been taken by the governments in any of the nation’s public universities to safeguard the health of their members and students from the COVID-19 pandemic should the universities resume as directed by NUC.

He said: “The response of the public universities to the call by the National Universities Commission for their readiness to reopen indicated that public universities are not ready.

“Presently, hostel accommodations are inadequate, no facility on ground to carry out physical distancing in large and crowded classes, water and electricity supply are not reliable etc.

“Reopening tertiary institutions without taking concrete steps to address these issues would be suicidal.

“While government made arrangements for special bailout funds for airline operators and other private entities, no such arrangement was made for public universities.”

But the story is different in a few public universities where arrangements for resumption are in progress.

One of such is the Lagos State University (LASU). Its vice chancellor, Prof. Lanre Fagbohun, said the institution would implement a phased resumption programme with final year classes resuming first.

This followed the directive by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu that tertiary institutions in the state should resume on September 14.

Fagbohun said 400-Level to 600-Level students would have staggered classes between 9 am and 3 pm daily – particularly for students off campus for three months.

He said the 300 and 200 Level students would resume afterwards for two months of in-person classes before examinations.

He said: “We have also done a gradual phasing of the way our students are going to resume. We are starting with the 400, 500 and 600-Level students. And that will run for about two months, and the two months will be intensive with them – starting the lectures around 9 o’ clock in the morning and closing at 3 o clock for those of them that live off campus.

“And then the moment we are through with that final year group, we will go on to the 300 and 200-Level students.

“And the way we intend to do it for the 300 and 200-Level: on Mondays and Wednesdays, 300-Level students will be on campus. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, 200-Level students will be on campus.

“We will be able to maintain social distance because we have done an audit of our facilities; we know what each class will take. We know the number of students that will be coming in for 200, 300-Level so that at the end of the day we are able to protect the lives of our students and our staff and protect them from the pandemic.”

Fagbohun also said online classes would continue for large classes.

Acting Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Prof. Folasade Ogunsola, said she was at a meeting when The Nation called to ask about resumption plans.

Private universities on the other hand are understood to be awaiting the announcement of their resumption dates. Some of the representatives said that online classes were ongoing.

The Director of Information at Babcock University, Dr. Joshua Suleiman, said: “Government said that institutions should prepare for resumption. But we are ready for resumption. Once they say we should resume, we will resume.

“Our students are already resuming online for 2020/2021 academic session. On Monday, they will start registration online.”

Crawford University, Igbesa in Ogun State, is also holding online classes.

The authorities of the institution are considering the first week in October.

A source said: “We have not heard the last word from the government about resumption.

“But that resumption, I must clarify, is about physical contact. The school has been on throughout the pandemic online. Our graduate finishing programme resumes on Monday. All activities have been going on.”

UNIJOS appears uncertain

The Chairman of the University of Jos chapter of ASUU, Dr Lazarus Maigoro, said that the management of the institution had not discussed with the union the issue of reopening the university or its level of readiness.

Dr Maigoro said the local ASUU does not even “support reopening of universities, in line with the position of our national body.

He said: “There is lack of classrooms to take care of social distancing as contained in the COVID-19 guidelines, as most of the lecturers are within the vulnerable age and therefore will be risking their lives.

“There is no provision for isolation centres and equipment presently at the institution.”

Besides, he said, the students hostels are usually overcrowded hence their occupants will be vulnerable.

Maigoro expressed dismay that government has not assisted the universities with funds to implement the COVID-19 guidelines to the safety of the lives of lecturers and students.

He also said the ongoing national strike by ASUU has not been resolved and even if the universities are reopened, there will be no teaching and learning.

He also said “the management of the university has not discussed the issue of reopening the university and their level of readiness with us, so I won’t be able to say in clear terms what they have done so far. Only the Vice Chancellor can answer that for now.”

The Zonal Coordinator, ASUU, Prof. Lawan G. Abubakar, said the union was not averse to the reopening of universities but the right measures against coronavirus must be taken.

UNN, ESUT also not ready

The story is similar at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) and the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT).

Enquiries at the universities pointed to the fact that the authorities of both universities have not put in place any structure for immediate resumption.

An official at the information department of UNN told our correspondent that they were not aware of such plans.

The ESUT head of Public Relations, Ossy Ugwuoti, said reopening the university depends on the Visitor, which is the governor.

He said right now, the whole situation seemed to be deadlocked, adding: “Even if you reopen now, you will not see the students.”

UI ASUU faults planned reopening

The Chairman, University of Ibadan chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Prof. Ayo Akinwole, faulted moves by the government to reopen all schools without taking responsibility for the institutions to meet COVID-19 precautionary guidelines.

Akinwole stated that those leading the agitation for the re-opening of schools are private schools due to the negative impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on them but warned that no pecuniary gain is more important than the lives of lecturers and their students.

Akinwole noted that before COVID-19, public varsities were overcrowded with students while hostel facilities have been taking more than their capacity.

He warned parents not to jubilate at the news of possible reopening but urged them to rather ask government to take responsibility for whatever surge in COVID-19 that may happen as a result of what he described as the “ill-thought” reopening.

The ASUU boss noted that while the National Assembly members can afford to observe social distancing in the National Assembly complex, the same is not possible with overcrowded classrooms due to the wickedness of the ruling class not to properly fund public education.

His words: “Our union notes that there have been agitations from some quarters on the government to reopen schools. Leading this campaign are the proprietors of private universities. ASUU is not in any way opposed to this call.

“However, Nigerians should honestly interrogate this position. Has the Nigerian government met the NCDC criteria on COVID-19 protocols in our institutions? Must we endanger the lives of our children for pecuniary gains? Are these agitations not borne out of protecting their business interests?

“COVID-19 is still very much with us. It is in recognition of this fact that the government itself has rolled out certain conditions to be met before schools are reopened.

“How many of our public institutions can confidently vouch for the safety of our children, given the available facilities such as provision of running water for hand washing, social distancing among students, the use of recommended face masks and shields, which are key components of NCDC protocols?

“A situation where a room meant for four now houses 20 students cannot be said to be social distancing-compliant. What we are simply saying is that the Federal Government should adhere to its own set guidelines.

Our position as a responsible union on all this is that throwing schools open in the midst of all this is an open invitation to tragic explosion of the COVID-19 scourge on a scale never witnessed anywhere since its outbreak! When this happens, Nigerians will not say that they were never warned.”

We doubt govt’s seriousness about resumption, says UNIPORT ASUU

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), University of Port Harcourt, expressed doubts over the seriousness of the Federal Government to resume academic activities in universities.

The Chairman of ASUU, Austen Sado, said there was nothing on ground in UNIPORT to demonstrate that the institution was ready for resumption.

“There is nothing on ground to suggest that UNIPORT can resume. I don’t think that government is also through with its announcement because most of what will be required are not available. So, I doubt if government is serious with that announcement,” he said.

Though the UNIPORT authorities could not be reached for their official reaction, it was gathered from a source in the institution that the Federal Government would determine the readiness of the universities to resume activities.

The source, who spoke in confidence, said the government through the National University Commission (NUC) sent a form containing a to-do list to UNIPORT.

“The form contains requirements for safe resumption of academic activities. We indicated what we needed for safe resumption. The list was sent back to NUC but since then we have not heard from them. We are still waiting for them to provide those things”, the source said.

He, however, said UNIPORT on its own provided hand-washing facilities, soap and sanitisers at strategic locations in the university.

He said the school in conjunction with other companies like Shell and Agip procured a molecular testing laboratory for the school.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy

Published

on

…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise

…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.

The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.

President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.

According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.

“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.

“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.

Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.

“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.

The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.

“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.

Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.

He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.

The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.

Continue Reading

news

Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage

Published

on

Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.

A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.

The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.

Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.

There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.

Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.

Continue Reading

news

Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate

Published

on

There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.

Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.

Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.

The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.

The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved