Connect with us

news

The two police Officer has been Arrested by NPF for dehumanising suspected robber’s girlfriend

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed the arrest of two policemen, Assistant Superintendent of Police Tijani Olatunji and Inspector Gboyega Oyeniyi, for allegedly subjecting a suspected robber’s girlfriend to dehumanising treatment at the man’s house in the Ibadan area of Oyo State.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, who confirmed the development in a statement on Thursday, said efforts were on to arrest another cop and a yet-to-be-identified civilian involved in the incident.

Mba, however, said the officers were on legitimate duties.

It was gathered that the police team had been on the trail of the suspect, who was traced from Lagos to his house in Ibadan, where he was arrested.

His girlfriend, who identified herself simply as Towobola, was also arrested.

One of the policemen, identified only as Wyclef, filmed himself interrogating Towobola and the suspect.

In the undated footage of the incident posted by one Olayinka Olaonipekun on Twitter, the alleged criminal said, “I was arrested at home. People should be patient, do the right thing and follow the law.”

The lady, while wailing and pleading with Wyclef that she was unaware of the suspect’s atrocities, said she only paid him a visit on the day of the arrest.

However, Wyclef and his colleagues, including one Gboyega, made sexist remarks against the 25-year-old.

Wyclef in particular accused her of being a prostitute, as she pleaded her innocence.

Why did you leave your former boyfriend that you are having sex with to follow an armed robber?” he demanded.

She replied, “I don’t have a boyfriend. You can check my phone. I just finished serving as a corper and collected my NYSC discharge certificate three days ago.”

Wyclef further asked, “Why did you break up with the person that deflowered you?”

She said, “He broke up with me himself because we used to fight a lot,” as the cop interjected, saying it was because she was promiscuous.

The policeman said, “If he (suspected robber) doesn’t have money and car, will you have an affair with him?”

“I do business and it is because he said he wants to buy shoes from me; please, I am begging you to stop recording me,” she replied.

She also denied Wyclef’s claim that she passed the night at the suspect’s house, saying she only visited “to assist him in cooking.”

“Are you saying he has not had sex with you since you met?” Wyclef asked.

“It was today that he attempted, but it didn’t happen, you can ask him,” she replied.

Wyclef later faced the camera and boasted that he “catches suspects like fowls”.

Nigerians, who took to the social media on Thursday, described the cops’ questions and treatment of the woman as discriminatory and unprofessional.

Olaonipekun, who posted the video through her Twitter handle, @olayinkaolaoni1, said, “Even if she’s guilty, what sort of questions and harassment is this?”

The Nigeria Police, in a tweet on Wednesday, said investigation had commenced into the incident.

In a follow-up reaction on Thursday, the police spokesman, Mba, said two of the policemen, Olatunji and Gboyega, had been arrested, adding that the suspects were being detained at the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, Lagos State.

“Following investigations into the dehumanising treatment of a female citizen as shown in a viral video on Wednesday, July 22, 2020, the Nigeria Police Force has identified three police officers and one civilian accomplice who participated in the unprofessional act.

“Two suspects, ASP Tijani Olatunji and Inspector Gboyega Oyeniyi, have been arrested for their role in the discreditable conduct and incivility to a member of the public. They are currently being detained at the Lagos State CID detention facility, Yaba.

“Preliminary investigations show that the policemen, who are attached to Area ‘A’ Command, Lion Building, Lagos, were on legitimate investigation activities in Ibadan, Oyo State, where the incident took place. Effort is being intensified to arrest two other accomplices.

“Meanwhile, appropriate disciplinary procedure will be initiated as soon as investigations are concluded,” Mba said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate

Published

on

There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.

Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.

Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.

The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.

The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.

Continue Reading

news

Drama in Rivers APC as Fubara and Tonye Cole Step Down from Governorship Primary

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary election in the state.

Fubara made this known in a statement personally signed on Wednesday, saying he would support whoever emerges as the party’s candidate, The Nations reported.

The governor said his decision followed extensive consultations with his family, friends, and political associates.

“After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party,” Fubara said.

The development comes amid ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general elections in Rivers State.

Fubara said although the decision was difficult, he remained committed to supporting whoever would emerge as the APC governorship candidate.

According to him, leadership demands sacrifice and personal ambition must sometimes give way to the collective interest of the people.

“Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest,” he said.

Meanwhile, the embattled governor expressed appreciation to his supporters for their loyalty, prayers and sacrifices throughout the political process, acknowledging that many would feel disappointed by his withdrawal.

He said his silence in recent weeks was “deliberate and strategic,” adding that it was guided by the higher interest of the state.

Newsthumb had earlier reported that APC chieftain and 2027 governorship aspirant in Rivers State, Tonye Cole, also announced his withdrawal from the race, saying his decision was, among other reasons, in the interest of the party’s unity.

Fubara thanks Tinubu, dismisses cowardice
The governor hinted at undisclosed pressures surrounding the political process, saying: “As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace.”

He added that some truths were best kept quietly “not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose.”

Fubara thanked the APC leadership for the opportunity given to him during the process and also expressed gratitude to President Bola Tinubu for his support and encouragement.

He urged party faithful to remain united and committed to the APC, describing the party as their “collective home.”

The governor, however, insisted that his withdrawal should not be interpreted as an act of weakness or surrender.

“I stepped aside not out of weakness, fear, or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers State may move forward in peace and unity,” he said.

Fubara also pledged to continue serving the people of Rivers State until the end of his tenure.

He further stated, “Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people. Rivers State is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability, and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest.

“To my supporters who stood firmly with me throughout this journey who gave their time, resources, prayers, and unwavering hope, I offer my deepest gratitude. I understand the disappointment, the anger, and the pain many of you may feel.

“Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way. But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain. My silence over this period was deliberate and strategic, guided always by the higher interest of our state and our people.”

Our correspondence earlier reported that Fubara rose politically under the administration of his predecessor and political godfather, Nyesom Wike, serving as Accountant-General of Rivers State before emerging as the PDP governorship candidate and winning the 2023 election with Wike’s backing.

Shortly after assuming office, however, the relationship between both men collapsed over control of the state’s political structure, appointments and finances, leading to a bitter power struggle involving the Rivers State House of Assembly led by Speaker Martin Amaewhule, who remained loyal to Wike.

The crisis escalated when 27 lawmakers attempted moves seen as targeting Fubara, while the governor’s camp questioned their legitimacy after alleged defections.

The Assembly complex was later demolished and governance became paralysed as both camps traded court actions and political attacks.

In March 2025, President Bola Tinubu declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending Fubara, his deputy and all lawmakers for six months, citing political instability and threats to governance and oil infrastructure.

During the suspension, retired naval chief Ibok-Ete Ibas was appointed sole administrator.

Fubara was later reinstated after political negotiations reportedly brokered by Tinubu, with conditions said to include working with the Amaewhule-led Assembly, maintaining peace with Wike’s camp and shelving immediate political confrontation ahead of 2027, although some reported terms — including speculation about reelection concessions — remained unofficial.

The House of Assembly saga remained central to the crisis, with repeated disputes over budget presentation, impeachment threats and Supreme Court rulings affirming the Amaewhule faction as the recognised Assembly leadership.

Continue Reading

news

APC Primary Crisis Deepens in Osun as Aspirants Accuse Party Leadership of Imposition, Manipulation, and Delegate Exclusion

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election held on Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Ife Federal Constituency has sparked widespread controversy, with aggrieved aspirants and party stakeholders alleging massive irregularities and manipulation during the exercise.

The aspirants accused certain party leaders of compromising the credibility of the primary process, alleging that the exercise was hijacked by desperate political actors allegedly working under the influence of the Osun State APC Chairman, Hon. Tajudeen Lawal, popularly known as “Sooko.”

According to reports gathered from several wards and local government areas within the constituency, many party members and stakeholders were allegedly denied the opportunity to participate in what was expected to be a transparent, free, and fair election. The aggrieved members described the exercise as a deliberate attempt to impose a preferred candidate against the collective will of delegates and party faithful.

Several stakeholders further alleged widespread intimidation, manipulation, and exclusion of recognized party members during the exercise, a development they said has generated tension and dissatisfaction within the party.

The aggrieved aspirants reportedly described the primary as a “scam,” alleging that results and figures were arbitrarily allocated to candidates by the party leadership.

They also alleged that incidents of violence and thuggery characterized parts of the exercise across Ife Federal Constituency, claiming that such developments have raised concerns over fairness, transparency, and internal democracy within the Osun APC.

Some party members further recalled a similar controversy during the May 27, 2022, APC primary election in the constituency, alleging that the same pattern of irregularities occurred during that exercise.

Meanwhile, the aspirants maintained that the outcome of the disputed primary election has yet to receive official recognition from the National Secretariat of the APC, as several petitions and complaints have reportedly been submitted over the conduct of the exercise.

They also noted that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has not officially validated the disputed process, thereby raising further questions regarding the legitimacy and credibility of the primary election.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved