news
Breaking : Security Agencies kept their promises, The Abductor killed and two captured in rescue operation of 20 medical students abduct, Says police spokesman
….UNIJOS VC says it’s the Lord’s doing.
….Recounts how varsity raised altar, prayed for students’ release.
It was a bloody day in Ajide forest, Benue State on Friday as security agents swooped on the gunmen who had been holding 20 medical students of the Universities of Jos and Maiduguri captive.
The abductors had demanded a N50million ransom to free the victims but the government was not prepared to meet such a demand.
Force became inevitable and a shootout soon ensued.
It was not clear yesterday who fired the first shot ,but by the time the dust settled,one of the bandits had been gunned down and two others captured by the security team comprising soldiers, members of the Police Special Squad and Department of State Security (DSS) operatives.
All the victims were rescued alive nine days after they were seized on the Otukpo-Enugu Highway.
They were moved to Abuja yesterday by the Office of the National Security Adviser which co-ordinated the rescue operation for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) treatment.
They were Enugu bound on the fateful day to participate in the annual convention of the Federation of Catholic Medical and Dental Students before they ran into the gunmen that abducted them.
A security source confirmed the death of the kidnapper and the arrest of two others.
Newsthumb gathered that the security operatives had massed around Ado and Okpokwu Local Government Area where the forest is located preparatory to their storming the kidnappers den.
Deployed to assist them in the operation were drones and helicopters.
The Benue State Police Command broke the news of the rescue late Friday but gave no details.
The Chief spokesman for the Police Olumuyiwa Adejobi said yesterday that no ransom was paid for the freedom of the victims.
Olumuyiwa ,in a terse statement on his X handle @Princemoye1 said: “We confirm the release of our brothers and sisters and some other Nigerians who have been in captivity on Friday 23rd August 2024 in Ntunkon forest, Benue State. Without any ransom paid. Contrary to some tweets and unconfirmed stories that some money was paid, no kobo was paid to release them. They were actually rescued tactically and professionally. We commend the security agencies, locals, and ONSA for their commitment and resilience. Thanks to you all. More details soon. “
UNIJOS VC: It’s the Lord’s doing
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Jos, Prof. Tanko Ishaya was all joy yesterday as he savoured the rescue of his students.
“Absolutely.We’ve been very, very glad since last night when we received that good news,” he said on phone yesterday.
He added: “It is a great, great relief for the university management and of course the parents, who had been suffering psychological trauma, and all the students themselves. It was quite a great relief for us.”
Asked how he felt when the news of the rescue first reached him, he said: “Of course, when we got the information, some of us stayed on until we were sure and told that all the students were actually with the security agencies.”
He said no ransom was paid to the gunmen.
He expressed gratitude to the federal government,the NSA and the security agents for getting the students freed.
He looked forward to seeing the students and taking them “straight to the Jos University Teaching Hospital to make sure that they are medically and psychologically revived and stabilised before they are integrated back into the society and into the university system.”
On his reacting to the abduction,he said: ” when we heard about the kidnap issue, the first thing that came to my minds was, what do we do to get this students out? Immediately, the first thing that we did was to go and report to the security agencies.
“But beyond the efforts of the security, we raised a prayer altar, and we kept praying that nothing harmful should befall these students and when we got in touch with the various security agencies, they kept giving us assurances, particularly myself (the Vice Chancellor), as we kept on discussing with the team from the security adviser’s office, STF Commander, DSS directors, the Police.
“They kept giving us assurances, that by the grace of God nothing would happen to them and we were just praying and hoping the students would be released.The security agencies kept their promises, and our students have been released. And to the best of my knowledge, no ransom was paid for their release.”
news
Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy
![]()
…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise
…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.
The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.
President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.
According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.
“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.
“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.
Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.
“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.
“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.
The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.
“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.
He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.
The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’