Connect with us

news

Lagos House of Assembly has approved Sanwo-Olu’s request for the state to assume full ownership of Lekki Concession

Published

on

 

The Lagos House of Assembly has approved Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s request for the state to assume full ownership of Lekki Concession[divider] Company Ltd, a privately owned company.

The House made the resolution to approve the governor’s request sequel to the presentation of the Committee on Finance report during plenary session in Lagos on Monday.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the House had received the request from the Executive on June 21 “and was committed to the Committee on Finance to further look into it and report its findings to the House.’’

The committee’s Chairman, Mr Rotimi Olowo (Somolu I), in his presentation, said the state would become the subsisting shareholder of LCC with 75 per cent shareholding and the Office of Public Private Partnerships shareholding of 25 per cent.

The lawmaker added that this was a sequel to the buy-out of all the shareholding interests of the company by the state government.

Olowo further said the original $53.9 million loan obligation from a private sector facility had been resolved after series of engagements between Africa Development Bank, the company and the state government.

He said, “The agreement was to convert the loan to a public sector facility with the benefit of a considerable reduction in interest charges of 1.02 per cent of $1.12 million biannual.

“This is against the 4.12 per cent of $2.746 million per bi-annual, therefore, giving a savings of $1.16 million bi-annual or $3.24milliom per annum.

“The House, therefore, granted the executive the approval to convert the AFDB loan to the public sector loan backed up by sovereign Federal Government guarantee on behalf of the state government.

“This also authorises the state government to issue a counter-guarantee in favour of the Federal Government along with an Irrevocable Standing Payment Order (ISPO) to deduct from the state’s statutory allocation.”

Olowo noted that the servicing of the loan obligations would have a maturity till August 2034.

Debating on the report before the approval, Mr Gbolahan Yishawu (Eti-Osa II) supported the committee’s recommendation, saying “it was a smart move as the interest rate would not injure what the state was spending on capital expenditure.’’

Yishawu added that it would also reduce the interest risk as well as the rate by moving the loan from private to public sector.

Mr Abiodun Tobun (Epe I) said the saving of 3.1 per cent in interest rate difference would reduce the burden on the state government and encourage the savings to be used to develop other sectors.

Mr Femi Saheed (Kosofe II) said restructure of the loan was an indication of the transparency in the state financing, saying it gave add-on flexibility for the additional years granted for the repayment of the loan.

Saheed noted that the request was a standard financial procedure practised all over the world.

The Speaker of the House, Mr Mudashiru Obasa, thereafter, directed the Acting Clerk of the House, Mr Olalekan Onafeko, to send a clean copy of the resolution of the House to the governor.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Tinubu Emerges APC Presidential Candidate After Nationwide Direct Primary

Published

on

….President Tinubu polls 10,999,162 votes, declared winner.

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has declared President Bola Ahmed Tinubu the winner of its presidential primary election ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The party commenced the collation of results from its nationwide presidential shadow election at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre in Abuja following the conclusion of voting on Saturday, May 23.

In a significant shift from the delegate-based system often associated with controversy, the APC adopted a direct primary method for the exercise. The election was conducted simultaneously across the party’s 8,809 wards in the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Under the direct primary system, all registered members of the party were eligible to vote for their preferred presidential aspirant, a move party leaders described as part of efforts to strengthen internal democracy and encourage wider grassroots participation.

The final stage of the process is being supervised by a seven-member Presidential Primary Election Committee chaired by former Senate President, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim.

Other members of the committee include former Senate President Ken Nnamani, Grace Titi Laoye-Ponle, former Speaker of the House of Representatives Yakubu Dogara, former Kogi State Governor Idris Wada, and Sanusi Musa, who serves as the committee secretary.

The atmosphere at the Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre remained charged as governors, party chairmen, and designated collation officers arrived to present certified results from their respective states before the Anyim-led committee.

Governors coordinating the exercise in their states took turns presenting the official results as the party concluded the nationwide primary process.

Continue Reading

news

Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy

Published

on

…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise

…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.

The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.

President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.

According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.

“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.

“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.

Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.

“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.

“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.

The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.

“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.

Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.

He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.

The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.

Continue Reading

news

Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage

Published

on

Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.

A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.

The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.

Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.

There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.

Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Newsthumb Magazine | All rights reserved