news
Update : CBN to begin disbursement of N30b revitalisation fund to varsities
He explained that the fund was not immediately disbursed because the Federal Ministry of Education and the National Universities Commission (NUC) committee needed to evaluate the audit reports of the universities
The revitalisation fund is one of the seven key issues evaluated yesterday at a Federal Government’s meeting with the leadership of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
According to a statement by the Deputy Director of Press and Public Relations in the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, Charles Akpan, the two parties expressed satisfaction with the implementation stages of what Ngige called “work in progress”.
The minister said some of the items in the Memorandum of Action (MoA) were nearly done hundred per cent within the timeline.
“The report has been turned in, deliberated upon and the Education Ministry and the NUC have promised to write to the Accountant General of the Federation next week for the release of the money to the NEEDS Special Account for onward disbursement to universities shortly,” Ngige said.
He explained that apart from the N40 billion Earned Allowance, which the Federal Government has already paid, the Budget Office had shown evidence that N22 billion Earned Allowances for 2021 was already captured in the 2021 supplementary budget.
On the proliferation of state universities, the minister said: “A Bill has been sent to the National Assembly by the NUC to strengthen its arms in terms of delisting universities where funding and other parameters are inadequate.”
ASUU President Emmanuel Osodeke expressed satisfaction with the outcome of the meeting and promised that the union would reach out to its members.
Ngige expressed shock that the National Association of Resident Doctors of Nigeria (NARD) embarked on strike after holding a similar successful evaluation meeting with him last week.
Those at yesterday’s meeting were the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Peter Tarfa and the immediate Executive Secretary of NUC, Prof. Rasheed Abubakar.
news
Tinubu Commends APC Primaries, Describes Exercise as Victory for Internal Democracy
![]()
…President expresses satisfaction with governors’ handling of exercise
…Says party members’ support places greater responsibility on him
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday described the ongoing presidential primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a demonstration of internal democracy and grassroots participation, expressing satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the country.
The President spoke with journalists after participating in the primary election at Ward L2, Ikoyi, Lagos, where he commended state governors and party officials for managing the process.
President Tinubu, who arrived at the venue alongside the First Lady, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, was received by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos APC Chairman Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi, Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Dr. Jumoke Oduwole, former Minister of Finance Wale Edun, and other party leaders.
According to him, the exercise has so far reflected the democratic ideals of inclusiveness and orderly participation within the ruling party.
“This is a demonstration of internal democracy and it has been going very well according to plan.
“This is politics, grassroots politics, where every member of the party has a right to participate and be involved. It’s to ensure that we have an internal democracy and it’s peaceful and well-organized”, Tinubu said.
Responding to questions on whether he was satisfied with the manner governors had handled the process in their respective states, the President said the conduct of the primaries had met expectations.
“Today, I am very satisfied, very, very satisfied that these governors have done well in their various states.
“In fact, from the ward congresses to local government congresses, to the delegate accreditation, validation, members register, and certification of the electoral process, it has been all very well. At least, you will score democracy at a high level”, he said.
The President also reacted to the large turnout and expressions of support from party members and supporters at the venue, saying the show of confidence increased the responsibility on him.
“I’m just excited. They challenge me more,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu reiterated that the APC remained committed to transparent and inclusive democratic processes that allow party members at the grassroots to freely determine their leaders and representatives.
He further commended electoral officials, party leaders and security agencies for ensuring a peaceful and credible exercise, while urging Nigerians to continue supporting democratic institutions and national unity.
The President also reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to democratic ideals, good governance and policies aimed at improving the welfare of Nigerians while strengthening political stability across the country.
news
Truck Loaded With Stolen Rail Materials Trapped in Jos, Exposes Growing Sabotage
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Concern is mounting over the persistent vandalism of railway infrastructure across Nigeria following another disturbing incident in Jos, Plateau State.
A truck reportedly conveying stolen railway materials was said to have become stuck along the Kuru axis, drawing attention to the activities of vandals sabotaging critical transportation infrastructure in the country.
The incident has renewed calls for urgent government intervention as experts warn that continued attacks on railway facilities could negatively affect national development and public safety.
Railway tracks and related materials are regarded as essential national assets designed to support economic activities, improve transportation and boost regional connectivity. Their destruction, analysts say, amounts to economic sabotage and a setback to Nigeria’s infrastructure development goals.
There are growing fears that criminal networks are increasingly targeting railway installations in parts of North Central and North East Nigeria, threatening train operations and exposing commuters to danger.
Stakeholders are now urging authorities to intensify monitoring, deploy advanced security systems and strengthen enforcement measures to curb the menace.
news
Ekiti APC: Controversy Trail Cyril Fasuyi’s Second-Term Ticket as Fayemi, Oyebanji Alliance Sparks Debate
![]()
There are growing political discussions within the Ekiti State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following allegations surrounding the emergence of Senator Cyril Fasuyi for a second term ticket.
Some party members and political observers in the state have alleged that Governor Biodun Oyebanji and former Governor Dr. John Kayode Fayemi remain politically aligned despite public perceptions suggesting otherwise. According to the claims, the relationship between Governor Oyebanji and Fayemi remains cordial and influential in the state’s political structure.
Critics further alleged that Senator Cyril Fasuyi was advised to reconcile with Fayemi in order to secure support for his return bid, a move they claim eventually strengthened his chances of getting the ticket.
The development has reportedly generated concerns among some APC stakeholders, who believe certain political interests are working behind the scenes to shape the future direction of Ekiti politics ahead of upcoming political contests.
The allegations also claim that internal power struggles within the party may affect relationships with key figures at the national level, particularly supporters loyal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
However, no official statement has been issued by Governor Oyebanji, Dr. Fayemi, or Senator Fasuyi regarding the allegations.
-
news6 years agoUPDATE: #ENDSARS: CCTV footage of Lekki shootings intact – Says Sanwo – Olu
-
lifestyle6 years agoFormer Miss World: Mixed reactions trail Agbani Darego’s looks
-
health5 years agoChairman Agege LG, Ganiyu Egunjobi Receives Covid-19 Vaccines
-
lifestyle5 years agoObateru: Celebrating a Quintessential PR Man at 60
-
health6 years agoUPDATE : Nigeria Records 790 new cases of COVID-19
-
health6 years agoBREAKING: Nigeria confirms 663 new cases of COVID-19
-
news1 year agoBREAKING: Tinubu swears in new NNPCL Board
-
entertainment1 year agoAshny Set for Valentine Special and new Album ‘ Femme Fatale’